Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Update: The doors and grille shell are now in DP60. Took a little ride to the beach.
    Photo courtesy of Martin.

IMG_1732.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That rules!!! You must be tickled right now!!

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Way to go Druss32!!! That thing looks great and I am glad you're out enjoying it this summer.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Now if we could just get something driving this summer huh Scootie Tang?:D

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Tahahahah!!!! Far from it. Wiring, Engine break in, Carb rebuilds/restoration, fluids, soooo at my pace? Couple more years!

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Totally! :eek:

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couldn't agree more!

8. Welp, I've been working pretty steadily on the Vic, but progress has been kinda slow because I've got some house projects going on at the same time.

I've been focusing on the top insert mostly. I cut the roof off of a 59 Edsel sedan to fill the hole with. My original plan was to just weld the Edsel sheet metal to the surrounding roof metal and put a Juliano's roof insert kit on top.

I started studying the original type inserts and decided I liked the recessed edges that sit in the stock channels and the lower profile stock metal trim molding.

I took a look at the mix of parts that made up my opening and decided to go with 33/34 trim. Here's my tech help thread that documents my decision:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603403

Because my top opening was made up from three different cars (32 sedan, 31Vicky, 31 sedan) the edges of the insert opening didn't line up in the corners. So that's the first thing I had to remedy.

Back corners:
    IMG_1096.jpg

Front corners:
    IMG_1094.jpg

I cut metal from leftover roof pieces I had in my stash and welded them together to make the corner curves tangent. This unfortunately meant I had to redo my body work and sealer on the roof. Sorry, I didn't take any pics.

Next I cut down the Edsel roof to fit into the opening and discovered that the back didn't have enough crown to fit over the bows. Since I don't have an English wheel, and Scootermcrad scared me out of trying to wheel the sheet metal, I made new, lower profile oak bows. Problem solved. The new bows are 1/4 inch lower than the old ones in the centers. Sorry, no pics again.

Once the metal insert was fitting flush with the surrounding wood, I drilled holes every 2 inches around the perimeter, applied a nice bead of auto body seam sealer and screwed the insert in.

IMG_1130.jpg

I finished up the body work on the roof (again) and shot some sealer. This pic shows one of the finished front corners.

IMG_1151.jpg

To prevent rust under the top (and to get an idea of what the finished insert would look like) I brushed on some black Rustoleum.

IMG_1161.jpg

When that was dry I cut a piece of 1/4 inch foam and glued it to the top.

IMG_1176.jpg

Then I stretched the vinyl over the foam, stapled it down and then trimmed off the extra.

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

Now I just have to bend up the trim (pictured in the thread above), paint it black and screw it on. This particular project is taking waaaaay too long.:eek:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  9. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Holy crap Dave, that looks awesome! Like the rest of the body mods you did, it looks like it belongs there.

I can definitely see how time consuming that project could be. It's one of those things when you are thinking about, you think "how hard can this be??", then you realize how much is involved once you start. Story of my life:D

Post up when you get the trim strip on Dave, good job bud

10. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

Keep up the good work Dave. Things are looking good.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah! Right on Dave!

12. Looks really good! Nice work.

13. Great work, Dave.

Your (extensive) mods don't even look like mods.

14. Looking great Dave!
    And hey, you got a roof now!
    So we can even make a trip in the rain...

15. When I saw the top painted I thought "looks good to me" just move on to something else. Of course I know that wouldn't do for you.

I've seen many cars that the owners/builders had great ideas on how to do something, but did an awful job executing the idea. You put alot of thought into everything you do on your car and the detail SHOWS! In fact I actually feel that it is so good that it doesn't stand out as the major modification that it is. The work is so good that it looks like Henry did himself.

16. So what do you have left to do before the Jalopyrama?

17. I'm in the process of making a jig to bend up the trim for the top. Once it's bent, I'll have the pieces welded together and then I'll paint it black and install it.

I've got to touch up the paint on the gas tank, bolt it in and hook up the fuel line. And put the passenger seat back in and hang the doors.

I don't know if I'll have the cash to get the headers coated before the trip, so I'll probably just give them a new coat of VHT.

I still need to paint my new back wheels and mount the tires.

I'll need to get a front end alignment.

I might try to fit in polishing the valve covers.

After all that, I'll work on chopping the rest of the garnish moldings, but I doubt I'll finish them before the show. No side glass either. I may get the rear glass cut and installed though.

She also needs a thorough cleaning.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  18. Wow, Dave!
    Sounds like you got quite some plans.
    Hope you'll be able to get it done in time.
    Can't wait for the trip!

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ahhhh that's a short list compared to mine!!! You'll get it done, I have faith!

20. Should have given me the valve covers when you had the chance.

21. What are you planning on driving, Jeffrey?

22. Wow, the top looks fantastic. Great job Dave :cool:

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Honestly? Probably my Silverado most of the way with my '35 in tow (if they let in in) since Momma and the baby are coming and 7.5 hrs with her in the runble seat aint going to fly. :D

24. Sorry man, I was just hoping to get to see the '35!
    Can't wait to meet new HAMBers!

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Or dudes that are busy enough to require them. I can't be futzing around with a car on the side of the road with a one year old and ScooterMcRad arriving in Charlotte Monday morning to hang out with me all week. I've got shit to do!!!

My shit box '35 is not nearly nice enough to be called a trailer queen. More like a heap which will get towed back home whether by my own choice or not :D

26. Hold on now, Scoot is coming too?
    Wow!

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

No but he'll be at my house for the entire week after and will be at Good Guys Charlotte the next weekend incase any of you wanted to make the trek down for that. Iron Lords will be having a party on Friday night. :D:D:D

28. Very, very slick, Dave - I like it. Man, I know how hard it is to get stuff done when you are pulled in so many different directions still kepp your vision and focus. Nice work - can't wait to see it in person ......

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! Coming to town to hang out with Sir Jeffy Cakes and I'll get to meet some of those Ironlordy lords, or whatever they're called. :D So hopefully I get to meet Mr. Russel and the DRuss Mobile at Goodguys Charlotte! That would RULE!

30. Jalopyrama - I'm still hoping I can go but I will have to leave early - it's my Grandson's 5th Birthday and there will be a party int he afternoon in Mechanicsville. I'm hoping to at least make the ride up with you guys ....

Charlotte GGs - yep, just signed up today and I have to call for a hotel. A buddy of mine will ride shotgun, leaving Thursday sometime around 9AM, coming home Sat starting late in the afternoon. My intent is to take the roadster but if the weather looks really wet, I will probably switch to the coupe. When are you going?