Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Dave,
    It sounds great. I know you are excited about the prospects of getting it on the road in the not too distant future.

By the way, what color of blue is that on the frame?

Ted

2. I'm getting pretty amped up about it. :D Wanna share the pics and video you shot?

You know it man. It will have been off the road for two years next month.
    NEVER take your only hot rod off the road. NEVER.

3. Thanks Ted. OJ got it running just right.

The blue is a 1959 Austin Healey color – Ocean Blue. The body color is the same.

4. MP&C

MP&C

Sounding good Dave, nice work OJ!

D-Russ likes this.
  5. Congrats Dave. It won't be long.

D-Russ likes this.
  6. Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    D-Russ likes this.
  7. Awesome, Dave! Where's the video of your test drive sitting on a bucket? I know you wanted to!

D-Russ likes this.
  8. walter

walter

Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!

D-Russ likes this.
  9. Is this what you're talking about?

[​IMG]

daddio211 and D-Russ like this.
  10. Truth.
    And its corollary; NEVER sell a finished hot rod until its replacement is finished. :oops:

daddio211 and D-Russ like this.
  11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Loving the build pics, looks real good

D-Russ likes this.
  12. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to drive it with no steering, no brakes and no clutch, but I'll give it some thought, Mark.

Yes Martin, that's very helpful.

13. scottb356

scottb356

14. loudbang

loudbang

Like they say on America's funniest home video. Hold the camera "SIDE TO SIDE TO MAKE IT WIDE."

D-Russ likes this.
  15. When I first started the new motor with the clutch and bell housing installed for the first time last weekend, there was interference between the bell housing and the flywheel. You can hear it in the videos that Martin shared in post 1003. After running for 30 seconds, it quieted down, so the flywheel teeth obviously "machined" the bell. Today I pulled the exhaust, drive shaft and transmission so I could remove the bell housing and inspect the interference area. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

IMG_0999_zps3k7coepw.jpg

I broke out the dremel and did some more clearancing just to make sure there was no more contact.

IMG_1002_zpsa7bviqiv.jpg

I put it all back together, fired it up, and I'm happy to report that my interference problem has been corrected.

The flywheel was not hurt because the bell housing is cast aluminum. It would have been very bad if I was running a steel or cast iron bell. So those of you that are planning to run a Hot Heads Chrysler to Chevy flywheel, it will hit a stock Chevy bell housing without minor machining/clearancing in the inside bottom from the middle to the left side.

I also bent up a simple battery hold-down strap.

IMG_1012_zps3rvxujgg.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Studebakermatt and Martin_F like this.
  16. Perhaps the crank centerline doesn't agree with the center of the bellhousing. Offset dowels are the answer.

D-Russ likes this.
  17. Thanks Sam, that's what a talented machinist like yourself would do to fix the problem.
    Hacks like me just break out the ol' grinder. ;)

18. First time on the ground with the new drive train. I think it may sit a little lower in the front with the hemi.

FullSizeRender_zps5xo1wky0.jpg

19. MP&C

MP&C

Looks like something's sprung a leak. That right there's alcohol abuse... :p

Congrats on another milestone Dave!

loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  20. norms30a

norms30a

Really nice, tons of detail and great ideas.

D-Russ likes this.
  21. I had a few buddies stop by yesterday to help me put the body on the frame for the last time. The deed is done.

FullSizeRender6_zpsgrxhqiyz.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsv4xsnxyi.jpg

FullSizeRender2_zpszvt1vlj3.jpg

22. brady1929

brady1929

Wow, very nice.

D-Russ and Studebakermatt like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car just looks better all the time. It keeps me thinking 32 frame rather than full fenders and stock (modified) for mine..

D-Russ likes this.
  24. That's a big milestone. Congratulations!

D-Russ likes this.
  25. MP&C

MP&C

Beautimous!

D-Russ likes this.
  26. Sweet! That thing is mink.

D-Russ likes this.
  27. flthd31

flthd31

I have to chuckle every I check on your build. I've been following it all these years. I started a build in 2008 on a quite similar path of starting with swap meet junk body pieces, fabricating, assembling, driving, tear-down and finish...it takes a long time. What's weird is how we have been passing similar milestones all thru the years. I dropped my painted and buffed body on the frame two weeks ago. It's been fun to follow along with someone that works at my pace...awesome build, thanks for all the posts.

D-Russ likes this.
  28. Wow looking great Dave!

D-Russ likes this.
  29. I'm a big fan of Model As on deuce rails – I just really like the look. And the added wheelbase doesn't hurt either. I'd say go for it (32 rails that is). If I were to run fenders, I'd run 32 fenders as well because they'll already fit the frame/wheelbase. Just need to fit the rear fenders to the wheel wells.

Wow, thanks man, but other than the length of time we've been building our cars, there's really no comparison – you can fab/build circles around me. I mean that frame you built is ridiculous, but I appreciate the kind words.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015