Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Thanks and yep.:)

Pretty heavy Robert. The white was lighter. I'm in the process of stripping it off with lacquer thinner and a scotch brite pad. The newest Rustoleum is really hard to work with – too much time between coats and the paint will wrinkle and it takes forever to dry. I', going to use automotive paint this time around. Any opinion on single stage urethane for the white and single stage acrylic enamel for the black?

2. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Go with one or the other. Your steering wheel is what happens when you lay them ontop of each other, if thats what you mean by your wheels.

Nice work so far, btw.

3. Interior panels are done. Still waiting on the seats.

IMG_2392_zps8e095d57.jpg

IMG_2390_zpsf8b93e8c.jpg

IMG_2394_zpsfaf5da25.jpg

IMG_2396_zps30a3ebe9.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  4. Sweet! Looks great, Dave.

5. daddio211

daddio211

Bitchin' man!

Sent from atop my toilet using the TJJ app for Android.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very nice - those turned out great!!

Malcolm

7. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I have always had a soft spot for Vicky's...the attention to detail in this car is amazing. Beautiful car!..and I vote to keep it the way it is..no chop..its awesome.

8. MP&C

MP&C

Looking good Dave!

9. Looks great man !!!
    I need to get busy

10. Looks good. Have you finished the dash trim?

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. NICE, seats going the same route?

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Interior looks amazing!!!! I'm a sucker for black & white!

14. 'Mo

'Mo

Was something said earlier about possibly revising the back of the top in some way?

15. rustychevyman

rustychevyman

Did you use rustoleum over rustoleum? I just had the same issue with wrinkling. I waited for three days and sprayed a different color over the first and it wrinkled. Had to strip it back down to bare metal.

16. Looking Good, Dave ! Can't wait to see the seats.

17. By finished I ment chrome plated. So I guess you have those plus some other pieces to have plated yet?

18. Dave, you continue to do amazing work. What a great car.

19. All righty, here's a little update on what I've been messing with while I continue waiting for my back ordered tranny adapter.

I've stripped my steering wheel and gotten it in sealer again, no pic though just because there's not much to see.

I picked up my seats from the upholstery shop. No pics again because I'm not 100% happy with them and I need to do some tweaking to make them right. On a side note, the seats, the sewing of the door panels, and engine machining and assembly are the only things I haven't done myself on my car and I've been disappointed each time. But life goes on.

I have also have figured out how I'm going to attach the deco garnishes to the door panels. I found these little doo dads at McMaster-Carr.

IMG_2410_zps357511f1.jpg

I'll tack three or four of them to the backs of the garnishes and then have them chrome plated. I'll drill holes into the door panels and then screw them on from the back.

IMG_2411_zps72b34f50.jpg

Next, I made up a rear spreader bar to match the front one and made rear frame rail extensions to position the spreader bar. (I bobbed the rear rails early on.)

IMG_2405_zps48e04eed.jpg

I started with the rear horns I had cut off.

IMG_2401_zps0d34e1f8.jpg

I made a pattern, marked the horns, cut out the shape and welded up the wedge.

IMG_2403_zpsdaf3c71a.jpg

IMG_2416_zps4f766c22.jpg

Next I proceeded to box one end on each to give me more surface to weld when I attach them to the frame rails. I just used scrap from the horns.

IMG_2421_zps3cb05f4e.jpg

IMG_2424_zpsd6679305.jpg

IMG_2428_zps60b5512d.jpg

IMG_2429_zpscf92ba65.jpg

After a little trimming, shaping and filing, I had a pair of these.

IMG_2439_zpsb6bf9433.jpg

IMG_2437_zpsa44bb4e2.jpg

I then test fit the spreader bar.

IMG_2434_zpsbfe7903b.jpg

IMG_2435_zpsf706d3ba.jpg

IMG_2441_zpsb4c6211d.jpg

IMG_2443_zpsb86b4f2e.jpg

IMG_2445_zps7bcc1344.jpg

I've also been messing around with my steering wheel horn button. I originally had a Chevrolet motor, so the Impala logo made sense, but now I'm running a Chrysler. I still dig the 59 Chevy steering wheel, but I wanted to add some sort of Chrysler logo to it. I decided to add an Imperial logo to the horn button center. So far I've cut out a circle of engine turned aluminum to match the dash insert, and I'll add a 1950s Imperial crown logo onto that (when i find one).

IMG_2407_zps2c0c83f3.jpg

20. Sweet!
    Like the little tabs to mount the trim pieces. I'll have to go look for them on McMaster.
    Spreader bar looks slick too!

21. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

I hate talented people!!!!! Good work Dave...

22. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

Wow, that rear frame section looks great! Nice addition!

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Nice work as always, Dave! I really like the rear spreader bar size, location, etc.

Malcolm

24. Nice work on that spreader bar, looks like it belongs there! I keep forgetting about friday night at Kroger's parking lot, have you been?

25. Thanks Martin. McMaster lists the doo-dads as "weld nuts".

Me too Howard, but they make me try harder on my junk. :)

Thanks Bruce, I really appreciate it.

I thought the Kroger thing was on Saturdays.

Do you want to go to breakfast and the AACA swap this Saturday? I really need to get that steering column before you junk that Ford.

26. You know the column is yours, unfortunately I have to work Saturday!
    Regards,

27. Thanks for the update, things are looking good.

28. So what do we like better? I prefer the looks of the gold 57 – 59 Imperial crown emblem but it's a little small for the space. The red late 40s/early 50s Imperial crown emblem is a little big. I'm considering cutting off the banner at the bottom of the red crown to see how that looks by itself. Opinions?

IMG_2465_zps5c9938ba.jpg

IMG_2467_zps4d135c6f.jpg

catdad49 likes this.
  29. I like the red crown and think it would look better if the scroll was gone and the crown was centered. Also like the spreader bar.