Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. The motor might be fitted and fired by then, but I won't have the car at Heavy Rebel this year. While it's off the road I'm also going to finish installing the interior, do finish body work and paint it shiny and all the other little things I still need to do.

So it will probably be off the road for a year or more – until it's finished.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I think you will find that the rear lugs are too thick for the mounts. The deck height is approximately .500 higher.

3. MP&C

MP&C

Dave, nice F1, what's it got for a drivetrain?

4. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great job on your Vicky and loving the F1 as well! Best to you and yours~

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Damn, that Hemi is quite the upgrade from a SBC --- awesome, Dave!

6. Glad to hear it is comming together.

7. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

You're in Richmond! I need to start looking harder...

8. Out with the old 283 to make room for the 354. That hemi is BIG. :)

IMG_2302_zpse0536b93.jpg

IMG_2299_zps07e1c4b3.jpg

IMG_2295_zpsce60f240.jpg

IMG_2287_zpsba5800a3.jpg

IMG_2290_zps5a8fb298.jpg

IMG_2292_zps114ba466.jpg

9. Dude! Bitchin'!

10. MP&C

MP&C

11. Looks awesome, Dave!
    Finally not a photoshop any more.

12. You sir, are a rockstar :cool:

13. The mock-up looks good, have you figured the motor mounts out yet?

14. 4444Design

4444Design

cool build!

like the details and look forward to any updates

subscribed

15. That elephant is HUGE!! Keep the change moving along, I want to see what that car does when the swap is complete.

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP! Fits just right! :D

17. DJM

DJM

Looks great. Dave

18. So I've been entertaining myself with little detail projects while I wait for the upholstery shop to do their thing and for my back ordered engine adapter to arrive.

My plan for the main garnish moldings in the car is gloss black paint. I finished those up a while ago. In Vickys, there's also a second decorative art deco style piece that goes below the main garnish. I plan to chrome plate them. They look like this:

IMG_2325_zpsdf1ce99f.jpg

While thinking about the finishing details for the interior, I came up with the idea of buying another reproduction garnish piece for the dash, to flank the gauge cluster. So I bought one for the quarter window of a fordor slant window sedan and cut it in half to see how it would look:

IMG_2329_zpsf799fdeb.jpg

IMG_2330_zps72eb4a3d.jpg

I cut the piece a little shorter and cut off the tab that tucks under the window garnish so it would fit flat against the dash. Then I the rounded the side of to fit it flush against the gauge cluster. I welded two screws to the backside to bolt to the dash.

IMG_2342_zps45ed8fe9.jpg

c4688c91-72d1-464b-a603-eed0db03d545_zps8822f747.jpg

After a little more metal finishing, they'll be ready for chrome:

IMG_2346_zps0580f1d8.jpg

And here's what they look like installed:

IMG_2348_zps53bd6b5d.jpg

IMG_2355_zpsd2a8f425.jpg

I've also been restoring my steering wheel but I ran into a paint problem. I'll post up the whole process once I repaint it (again). In the mean time, anyone want to tell me what the heck happened to my paint?

White came out good, but the black wrinkled badly. (rattle can Rustoleum)

IMG_2336_zpsb4c8697d.jpg

IMG_2318_zps83bf40b8.jpg

IMG_2338_zpsa612cdaf.jpg

19. Those dash pieces look great! Who do you plan to use for plating? Sorry your paint turned on you. Did you prime first? and did you spray the black and white independantly, or was the black sprayed over an all white coat?

20. Dash looks great! Paint looks like it reacted to whatever was underneath it. Either whatever was under the black was not fully cured or incompatible with the top coat.

21. Thanks Mark, I'll probably have Hanlon here in Richmond do the plating unless you have a better suggestion.

Mark and K13, I contemplated shooting some sealer first, but I skipped that step because I didn't want too much paint built up on the wheel. The black and the white were masked and sprayed independently – in other words there's no white under the black. I guess I'll shoot some sealer this time and invest in some actual automotive paint.

Another question for you guys – I already have some black acrylic enamel that I used for the wheels, but I'll need to get some white. I was going to buy enough white to shoot the firewall too, so I want to use urethane. Do you foresee any problems if I mask the wheel and shoot black acrylic enamel and white urethane? Both single stage.

22. oj

oj

I know little enough as it is and even less when it comes to paint, can't help there but i do know i like the wings. It looks great, are those valve covers magnesium?

23. Had Halon do a generator bracket and the combo headlight stand/shock mounts for the coupe and was severely disappointed, again.

Sent the emergency brake handle and ashtray lid to "chromeplaterjosh" here on "THE H.A.M.B.", and was amazed at the finish as well as the price. Turn around time was just a few weeks. I understand it was a family business and although Josh has moved on, his dad & brother are still doing quality work. Below is a link, and if you search "chromeplaterjosh" on here, you will find plenty of great reviews. I would get a quote from them, before i sent it to Hanlon.

http://www.chromeplatingin.com/

24. Thanks OJ, are you talking about the VCs on the mockup motor? They're just old painted stamped steel.

Thanks Mark, I'll check them out. I'm a little leery of sending out my one-off custom made parts to an unknown destination. I need to check out the difference in the chroming in person. When are you going to take the coupe out? Doug's open house on the 4th?

25. I didn't know Doug was doing an open house this year. Where do we get the details? As far as checking out the plating, word has it there's gonna be a really bitch'in 32' Chevy showing up on Saturday for the car show @ Hyle's Baptist Church on Courthouse Rd. Been to this show the past couple years, some really nice cars that you don't see all the time. Come on out if you can.

26. Yep, Hyle's this Sat.

Come on man, collectors want to know, wheres this years poster! I'll understand if your waiting for Doug to post on the Va Hamb social group, but please tell me a certain talented individual produced one for this years open house.

27. What time are heading out?
    Those do-dad garnishes are going look sweet!

28. von Dyck

von Dyck

That 354 really fills up the firewall - gives it nice proportions. You know that it
    means going back to fine tuning your front spring!
    The Vicky's lookin' good.

29. MP&C

MP&C

How heavy did you lay on the black on that steering wheel? Looks like it may have been sprayed on too heavy, too wet.