Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Model A Hot Rod restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1927graham, Nov 24, 2013.

1. I want to brighten up this engine a little, got new Buick valve covers (scripted) and valley cover pan coming from Russ Martin, CA. http://nailheadbuick.com/ a great place to get quality parts from a trusted seller.

2. If you gonna run the Holley 94's, just change the power valves, they made 2 styles of valves.

3. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Nailhead is being built by Ross Racing Engines complete with brand new 97s so all should be well. They do awesome work up there.

Russ is a good source although in my discussions with him he was heavily into pushing his new MARTIN intakes. I managed to pick up an original Edelbrock 6x2 and what looks like a NOS Offy 6x2 which is now going spare.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  4. Just read your complete thread, That is a great looking pick up. Did one pic show the carbs on reversed. What is the reason for that. Nice colour too.

1927graham likes this.
  5. I don't see a picture with the carbs reversed, never had them on that way, no need to. Thanks for looking at my thread, will be adding more in the near future.

6. Graham, Really love the truck as I said, but I have always run the carbs with the float bowls to the front. I just wondered why you have yours to the rear. My 6 carb hemi intake only lets me run the bowls to the front. Just interested, that's all.
    Cheers Phil.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Always ran them this way, never thought about it before.

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Glad to see someone using a 3-link rear suspension.

1927graham likes this.
  9. The rear suspension works great, has a good ride.

10. I have had some warn me about using Charlie Price @ Vintage Speed for my carburetor parts and service. I read the threads on Charlie Price and as an update, I recently had 4 transactions with Vintage Speed and had absolutely no problems with his prices, shipping time or customer service. I will go to him again with my needs. I realize others may have had problems, I had none, and was treated well.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Dodgejodge, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  11. Par34

Par34

You nailed it! Just kidding, great looking build, very clean looking and the craftsmanship is top notch. Is the radiator shell chopped or standard size?

volvobrynk and 1927graham like this.
  12. Went through the carbs, got the correct power valve set up in, stripped off all the crap (Eastwood paint), changed out the fuel lines to banjos, reworked the linkage, had both intake manifolds media blasted and chrome ceramic coated by Race Coating, Forest Lake, MN, they did a fantastic job, recommended. Also rebuilt the 40 Ford steering gear with new gears, bearings, etc., I'll put that back in the car tomorrow. DSCN9575.JPG DSCN9576.JPG

13. I don't know everything about anything,
    but those Buick Manifolds I think can mount
    in either direction. And I've seen both.
    So they are really not "backwards"
    Just my $.02

14. loudbang

loudbang

Wow that new setup is a thing of beauty.

15. Graham'r that is indeed what ^^he said. I love the way your truck looks. It's about as classy as an evil nitro man would have built his back in the day. Show/race/haul all the way. It's perfect. That setup is merely it's crown. Big set of jewels up top....big heavy hangy draggin' ones down low. Vroom vroom, cough cough !!! Yep, it's a boy !! Congratulations !!

16. jays41willys

jays41willys
    from nj

nice built.nice looking truck

1927graham likes this.
  17. Are you sure you are not a journalist? You are much more eloquent than many on this site. Thank you for the kind compliments.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. hahahaha .....words are nothing compared to merits. I'm just a spectator with empty hands. I'd much rather be you sir. I promise.

volvobrynk, 58jim and 1927graham like this.
  19. You wouldn't want to be my age (69), I've got underwear older than you!!!

20. That's a lot to be proud of sir. Building at 69.....not the 43 year old undies. :) made my day today. Thank you !!!!

It's funny really....the people one follows here. Some aren't worth the trouble, while others knock it out of the ball park. I'm glad to have been proven lucky. I love this place.

21. This is a good site, a lot of mostly good information.

22. seatex

seatex

Not sure how I've missed this thread, but you have "knocked the ball outta the park" with that build! Very, very nicely done, sir. From the looks of it, your grandson is hooked, too. I can see a twinkle in his eye, and gears turning in his brain!
    Subscribed for updates

23. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Hey Craig I posted when you first started this build looks like you did a amazing job. Is it back on the road yet after the trans problems?
    Andy

1927graham likes this.
  24. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Man this is gonna look great when you're done.

1927graham likes this.
  25. Got it back on the road with the tranny gone through again, I changed out the rear main seal (rope) to a rubber 2 piece seal on the new engine, put another 800 miles on it till the cold Minnesota winter
    set in, happy with the results.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. That's kind of you to say, my grandsons mean the world to me. Sure the hell hope they like hot rods, they'll each get one from this old guy.

Tony Martino likes this.
  27. Thats an Awesome Hot Rod!! Amazing build!! Jim

1927graham likes this.
  28. Thank you Jim, just waiting for the Minnesota winter to get out of here so I can update my engine appearance. I'll be posting more in the near future, thanks for viewing.

29. Valtin

Valtin

Wow, Nice clean work. Love the induction and nice work area.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Thank you and welcome to the HAMB.