Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 31 ford coupe with vega box question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kool49, May 1, 2014.

1. Kool49

Kool49

Will this work ? All is parallel to eah other ,well real close. Cant get vega box any further to front of car . In front of engine mount then pitman arm is way to long ( 1 1/2 to 2"s and angled down about 30 degrees. So i thought this may work , plenty of clearences all around .

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Center of tie rod and center of drag link shouldn't be more than 6" apart closer is better. You may have to make a special motor mnt to move your steering box forward

3. srs1

srs1

Something is screwy here. The steering box usually goes in front of the motor mount on a Model A. The motor mount will have a notch in it for the shaft, but the box goes out front. The engine looks kinda close to the front x member (radiator) can you move it back?

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I would use an aftermarket pitman arm.. That one looks like the original Vega pitman arm and I think the new ones are a tad shorter which would let you mount the box where it should be...

5. I agree with srs1. move the motor back and box forward

6. Kool49

Kool49

Hey thanks for all the inputs on this, ive been working on getting rearend clearenced . Im just about done with it then heading back to the front end issue . May i ask what it does having the draglink and tierod at the discription i gave in original post . Im not doubting your suggestions just curious what it does having it set up like that ? I did play wth it a bit but only gained a inch so now its at 9"s from pitman arm and draglink center to center. Dont wanna move engine back anymore but if i absolutley need to i may raise the engine up and fab up some differnt enginge mounts . I really dont wanna do that either do to tranny coming up with and taking up floorspace inside . Other than that i could put box in front of mount but then i would have to shorten pitman arm aprox 2" s. Haaving a shorter pitman arm (what would that do ) ? Thanks for the help here .