Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Chevy 5 Window Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fast Eddie 27, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Please rethink that 8 inch channel and 6 inch drop axle, that's why everyone is commenting with a rat rod association.
    Here's a friend's 3 window
    Screenshot_20180201-230304.jpg

2. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Careful on dearching the front springs. As I said on ours, we did just a little and the end of the through bolt was nearly touching the frame. It’s been a while back so my memory is a bit hazy but it was probably 1” or 1-1/2”. Had to put it back.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31chevymike and Fast Eddie 27 like this.
  3. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

So I did a little bracing and finally got the body off the frame tonight. So far the frame looks ok. I’ll send up some pics tomorrow on it. My plan is to leave the body aside, braced, and mounted to a jig while I work on the frame. But am I doing that backwards because the frame should ultimately be setup based on the stance of the body ie: channel. ?

[​IMG]

4. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

I admit that number is based on a buddies Model A. So in my head that’s what I’m thinking. But ultimately I’ll set the body over the rails and take it from there as to what I think looks clean and tidy. Yet still a bit aggressive.

31chevymike likes this.
  5. Chop that sucker!:cool:

6. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

31chevymike and ct1932ford like this.
  7. Mordor40

Mordor40

31chevymike likes this.
  8. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

31chevymike likes this.
  9. rcavaliers

rcavaliers
    from downey

Started off with a solid car.... gonna be a nice one. Do it to it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31chevymike likes this.
  10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

C472A998-F837-49ED-B443-BC6A65542840.png 5” chop 5” channel 2” section.... I don’t see a rat rod here

11. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

31chevymike likes this.
  12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hot Rods have been chopped, dropped, channeled forever, nothing to do with rat-rods.
    Look at history, study the old black-n-white photos, I have ton's of them …. and my cars are low (4" from the bottom of the frame to the ground), mild chop, 1" to no channel, etc-etc …. point is, if you want to be able to sit in it without tilting your head-neck-shoulders all the time, spend the time to get your ergamonics "right/correct and then design and fabricate around it. I've been building my and others Hot Rods like this for over 40+ years.

Here is a picture of my last Hot Rod Sedan that I built …. it's very low, had plenty of power, rode and drove great, could see out of it without pains in my neck and was a blast.
    1972322_1377987499144710_1004702200_n.jpg
    Let me know if you want any help, ideas or direction...
    Glenn

13. oldsman41

oldsman41

If you are a good welder and can do metal work than the chevy isn’t going to kill you. A lot of wood in the old chevys. 327 fuely would be bitchin.

14. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

No, I put it together along time ago, it’s been in Russ’s stable for over a decade, I haven’t owned anything cool in a long time

15. Damn !! Cool as hell. Guess we can expect that from you though .... wow.

31chevymike likes this.
  16. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

AhotRod, that is one sweet sedan. That's along the lines I'm shooting for with mine.

31chevymike and shadetreerodder like this.
  17. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

If you haven’t got a title yet may be wise to throw that motor back in and make that happen first before you get carried away rodding it

31chevymike and GuyW like this.
  18. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

IMO, yes. Removing the body with temporary bracing only could create body alignment issues. It’s almost impossible to build main sills (which support the inner body structure) while not on the frame. Post #63

I would also suggest chopping while body is on the frame. Brace the lower portion of body, chop, then build inner structure.

Just my opinion .............

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    31chevymike and RMR&C like this.
  19. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

Ya know. Last nite sitting in the garage looking at the car. My heart sunk as I neglected to start the registration process prior to dismantling the car completely!!!!!

‍♂️. Ouch. This is bad. I’m going to have to battle CA for a while on this one.

31chevymike likes this.
  20. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

[​IMG][​IMG]

Well making a little progress. Mocked up my first boxing plate and front tube. Stripping the frame as I go POR 15 the inner rails prior to boxing.

I’m currently working on a homemade frame jig so I can prepare for welding and tacking

21. mlagusis

mlagusis

Nice, progress is good. What front suspension are you going with?

31chevymike likes this.
  22. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I had a friend that was a body shop teacher at a Vocational School and he was building a 31 coupe. He took all the wood out one piece at a time, and welded in steel bracing to make it one solid body. Unfortunately he died before he finished the car, and his widow had to sell it off. I never did see it locally after that. I'd try Butch's Cool Parts or Posie's about the springs and axle you want. Buff out the paint and throw some clear over that patina. Put the engine, trans., and rear end of your choice in it, slap some wheels & tires on it and drive the hell out of it.

23. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

Thank you. Trying to keep up with a couple hours a night!

I like what Pete and Jakes does with the full kits. I’ve been round and round with keeping it Chevy up front vs my personal favorite ford hairpin. Pete and jakes seems real good with a nice complete kit.

31chevymike and AHotRod like this.
  24. I like the Ford buggy springs however the parallel leaf springs look good, and will really help your car stand out in a sea of Fords-

@Pete Flaven's old 30 Chevy coupe
    upload_2019-1-12_4-38-25.png

@ChevySean79's 33 Chevy coupe

upload_2019-1-12_4-42-23.png

Paul Millinchuk's 32 Chevy from N.J.

upload_2019-1-12_4-43-38.png

V.S.- Roger Miret's 32 Chevy Coupe with Ford suspension
    [​IMG]

25. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Is this your dream car ?
    If not, the harder you chop n' channel the fewer future customers you will find...
    We all know of guys that see cars in the weeds or belly button high coupes and need theirs to be lower, only to find the pitfalls later...
    If you wanted to have fun and then step up to your dream car later, remember that anyone over 250lbs. or 5' 10" and taller can't easily get in pancaked rod...
    If it is your dream car, do what you want or like and don't look back !

nunattax, brEad and 31chevymike like this.
  26. I suggest you build the car you want.
    If you build a based on what you think other people want to buy you will end up with a car you are not happy with.
    To me when you build a car it ends up having part of your soul and personality and there for is yours forever.
    Based on that fact I do not see how any one could sell a car it would be like selling a child.

tb33anda3rd and 31chevymike like this.
  27. 31chevymike

31chevymike

In the very beginning of my ownership, I attempted to pull the body from the frame, not realizing that there were 6 mounting bolts, not 4. Used a tow truck to lift the body, bouncing wildly until the wood floor ripped away, leaving it still mounted on the frame. Body came off, firewall facing the sky, also causing my first heart attack at 43 years old... Just kidding.

With my blatant inexperience, the body never hit the ground thank God, but spread apart 4 inches on each side. Was able to save the body by having it "relaxed" and pulled back inward to mount on a brand new wood floor. Brace the body with steel welded in from side to side as mentioned from one of the HAMBER'S. Dig your build ALOT as we both have the same coupe!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

tb33anda3rd and GuyW like this.
  29. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

[​IMG][​IMG]

Next up. Start my jackstand, concrete anchor, angle iron, homebuilt frame “jig” quotations cause it’ll be theoretical I think. Hoping it holds it all together well enough for some tacking and later welding in those complete boxes. I’ll be sure to stagger big time, take my time, and use the 1234 rule. [​IMG]

I plan on anchoring the jack stands to the floor, weld up the moving parts( thanks harbor freight)

Okie Pete, 31chevymike and TFoch like this.