Register now to get rid of these ads!

31 chev coupe value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwhead, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Found a 31 chev coupe that is for sale for 8500. It is stock and is complete. It still runs and has new tires. Not familiar with Chev values. What do you guys think? Don't have pics as I am on the road now. Any thoughts? Walt

2. chaotic

chaotic

All stock looks really good runs I would say 6500 to 8500. What are you going to do with it?

3. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

I think that if the wood has any decay anywhere, that is twice what it is worth. That body is just sheetmetal stretched over a wood frame.

4. Ghost28

Ghost28

It better be nice for that price as a stocker. I know chevys have there problems mostly the wood structure. So to rebuild it as a hot rod, if the wood is good you will be ahead of the game. If not the build just got a lot harder and more expensive...John

5. No plan for now. May flip it or store it for a later build, but that would be doubtful. Gotta finish a Chev coupe that a fella is paying me to build for him and then I am on to my new 31 ford coupe project that I just bought from jailhousebob last week. W

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I always get a kick out of people who mention the horrors of replacing wood in an old Chevy. if woodworking is a problem for a person how could they possibkly accomplish any of the other jobs that need done when dealing with old cars.

... and really.. how are we supposed to give a value of a car we have never seen? stock and complete runs and has new tires.

I'd guess somewhere between $2,000.00 and $25,000.00

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I agree with junkyardroad. I had 30 chevy,doors sagged,trunk lid very heavy,but nice lines.....

8. $8500 is hi end, but if it's nice and solid could be a good buy. Go with your gut and don't kick yourself for passing it up later.

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

I believe he is allready familiar with the wood issue since he is building a chevy for a customer.
    But rebuilding the wood, or replacing the wood with steel. not a horror and it Is not a problem, as a matter of fact it is real easy. The problem comes from removing the old wood with out tearing up the sheet metal, cuz of all the toe nails that you have to dig out from under the lead fills on all areas of the body. But back to the question was it a good price or not and part of the answer that should be addressed especially on old chevys would be the wood. And for $8.500 dollars for a complete car :eek: just to tear it apart because of wood is kinda overpriced and that is the answer. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  10. 3 or 5 window....that makes a HUGH difference in price....

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Really? Which ones are worth more? I wouldn't piss on a 3 window if it caught fire, I think they are ugly. Just my $.02 though.

Can we see some pics of this thing?

12. thanks for the input guys. I know it is hard to suggest a value on something that is not in front of you! But, you have given me some valuable input that is pretty much in line with what I was thinking. I believe that this car is overvalued but will take a hard look at it when I get back east.

Just pulled into the San FRan area from Oregon and passed by this neat diner up in Oregon on the coast. Check out the pics. It is located on 101 south of Newport if I remember correctly. Neat place. Walt

Attached Files:

13. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

I better not see you pissing on my 3 Window even if you think my wood needs swelling!

14. 3 windows are much rarer....and how can you say that.....I get a boner just thinking about a 32 3 window, too bad mine is a 5 window...

VTWhead, one thing to think about is what are your plans for it...some of the parts are worth some bucks if you didn't need them, good fenders go for good money, so so one's are fairly cheap. There were some options available on them that restorers will eat up...that can make a big difference is what it's worth. 8.5K really isn't to bad priced if it's a complete original good running non molested coupe with good metal. My dad's hugh into 31-32's (guess that's why i'm following in his steps) but some prices i've seen cars go for are just dumb!