Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Cabriolet barn find

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fire Fox, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have a fairly rare body. They were overlooked back in the day in search of roadsters. Many were just junked, why I don't know. BUT, the slanted windshield makes it quite a unique car. I am a roadster driver, and can tell you from experience how GREAT rollup windows would be in shitty weather. If you choose to sell it, do some research so you don't get lowballed. Just for grins, that car would be so bitchin' riding on a Deuce frame built for a Model A. Again, the slanted windshield really ups the value. Good luck however you go.

kidcampbell71 and hotrodtom like this.
  2. Nice to see talk about what might be best for a rare car

Jim

Texas57 and hotrodtom like this.
  3. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

Thanks guys, it's good to have options! I'll keep you posted, I've got to go back and get the chassis, engines, and whatever else I can find that is A model.

4. Definitely put it on a '32 frame with all early Flathead / 39 box / juice brakes running gear. Get a dropped Model A axle and some split wishbones and you'll be well on your way.

Fuck restoring it.. hot rod it!

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

One more "NICE FIND" from me. You didn't say where you are located but, there are Model A guys all over the world and I would suggest you get one our two and go back and look for other items in that garage that you may have missed. Make a list of what you don't have and go on a treasure hunt. It will be much easier and cheaper than a swap meet. Don't be quick to hot rod it! It will be a very fun car just to get it up and running! You don't have to split the wish bones! Good luck- Have fun!

Roger Sundfors and Spoggie like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB! What a great intro! I agree the Slant Window '31 Cabriolet is one of the best looking A body styles, also one of the costly ones to restore. Be sure you can go back and look for any missing bits. If a Roadster is what you really want I can see an even swap with a Restorer that has his hart set on a Cabriolet. Bob

kidcampbell71 and Spoggie like this.
  7. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

Thanks, when I finish getting the chassis and all the parts I'll post good pictures and see what's out there. I was going to build a 40-50's hot rod until I found out how rare they are so we'll see?!

8. montanafordman

montanafordman
    from Tacoma, WA

Yes PLEASE don't rod that slant cabriolet. There are many restorers out there that would help you find all you need for a good roadster project in trade and then some. That car is just MUCH to rare to cut up. If I had space and money I'd pony up for it. Its on my bucket list! (any Cabriolet let alone a late 31). NICE find!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. clem

clem

Sounds like most of the traditional hot rodders on here want you to restore it. That been said, it must be a rare car worthy of restoration. There is your answer, swap it for a roadster.
    And if you do build a roadster on deuce rails, please consider channeling it an inch over the chassis, not sitting it on top like most !

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. No car is to rare to cut up in my opinion, and I've never cared for restorers, BUT, in this case, it may be financially benifical to pass it on for a nice big stack of cash, which would get you into the car you really want.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. would trade my Cabriolet for a comparable roadster in a heart beat....that was also what I was looking for when I ran across my 68B PICT0004.JPG .....

12. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

I went back to the barn today and wrestled the chassis on the trailer and loaded the back of my truck down with more parts. There's still the engine and some small stuff left so maybe this week I'll have it all home!

13. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

14. Elrod

Elrod

I'm the guy that has the stock 68C over on Ford Barn. I'm not scared to hotrod a car, but I have to say that you are not going to get the respect from the hot rod crowd with a rare cabriolet like you would with the restorer crowd. The hot rod people will just look at it as a funny looking roadster. You'll be telling everyone that it's a "rare this and what not" and they won't care and just tell you about their mustang their neighbor has in a barn.

If you want a hotrod, get a roadster and do some cool stuff with a chopped top, cool dash, etc.

If you want to hop up this car, get an expensive banger touring engine, add some dual carbs and keep the fenders on it and make it a sleeper that you could bring to Model A events and they wouldn't tell you you're a horrible person for ruining a car that only about 100 still exist of.

Oh, and don't think you can't drive the wheels off of a stock banger powered Model A. I've probably driven my 68C about 20,000 miles to both east coast and west, up and down mountains, and it was smiles all the way.

hotrod.jpg Cabriolet.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  15. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

Thanks Elrod, I still haven't decided on what I'm going to do. I'm past the point of caring about people respecting my rides, so I really wouldn't hesitate to chop this thing and drive the wheels off it but if somebody wanted a 68C bad enough to trade me an equal or better Roadster that I could build then I'd prob do it. A 32 Roadster is my dream car, I'll prob never be able to afford one but it's nice to wish big. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441461349.087280.jpg

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  16. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I have a 31 roadster survivor but I would keep what you have and make a hot rod out of it
    Here's a 31 cab for inspiration
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441462918.410830.jpg

Spoggie, kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    kiwijeff likes this.
  18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with Elrod. I just cleaned up my Cabby and built the numbers matching A engine. It is largely unmolested and has original paint on the interior, firewall, etc. The body had a repaint sometime in the 7o's is my best guess. I started it and drove it onto the trailer when I brought it home. I ran it with the stock engine in it for awhile, probably 4K miles or so, but it was so worn out I couldn't keep oil in it. I swapped it for a built B motor that I happen to have, while I built the original engine. The original engine got; Counterbalanced crank, Skokie inserts on mains and rods, built the oil pump for more volume/pressure, Lion III head, Burns DD manifold, Holley 94 carb, B dizzy, leak less water pump, ported stock exhaust, Brassworks 3 row 10 fin per inch pressure radiator. It has a lightened model A flywheel and an A clutch that isn't enough clutch for the engine.
    It also has a 3.54:1 rear end ratio and '35 Ford 16" Ford wheels with the tallest 18 X 700 rubber I could find. It will do 55-60 mph comfortably. I went through the mechanical brakes and changed out the steel drums for cast iron. It stops on a dime and gives $ .09 change.
    I have banger friends that have a hard time keeping up with me and it will give the stock flathead V8 guys fits.
    I lost a bearing in the transmission on my last trip so it is going to get a Mitchell syncro transmission with the 15% higher second. I'm going to put a Mitchell driveline overdrive, lightened B flywheel and V8 clutch as soon as I find a window of time to do so. It will be easier on the engine at highway speeds or faster.
    When I take it to cruise-in's or shows, invariably I will get someone that I can't get away from that is trying to impress on me how thankful they are that someone showed up with a real banger powered gow job. I have the most fun with this car of any of my cars and it always gets attention. I also want to believe that it is better than money in the bank. I almost screwed up and sold it to someone that wanted it bad. He was going to restore it and the car does not, should not be restored. It needs to be driven and have fun with not made a trailer queen out of collecting dust in a garage. View attachment 2995583 View attachment 2995584

I'm going to suggest that you re-assemble what you have to make it drivable (more valuable) and have some fun with it. It will grow on you and you will figure out that you are one lucky dog. The only reason there are so many roadster guys is that there are so many roadsters

My thoughts,
    Larry

Spoggie, waxhead and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Congrats on the find. I am building a 1929 (68A) cabriolet as a four banger hot rod. I am really enjoying driving it around during the build. A build thread is on here. Cabriolets make nice mild hot rods. With all the wood in the body, I would be hesitant to put an OHV V8 in one; but a banger or flathead V8 should work out nicely. I wouldn't worry about destroying a 'rare' Model A, as Model A's have never been super high valued cars regardless of 'rarity'. They are just not luxury cars in high demand as restored originals. I think the cabriolet makes a nice hot rod and will never be a 'belly button' car, as many roadsters are.

link: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/29-cabriolet-build-better-late-than-never.945429/

20. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

I've been offered a 31 5 Window Coupe, just a body for body trade, I like a chopped too coupe, just can't decide.

21. touring20

touring20

With that patena ,I would put her back together with lowered reversed spring on the front
    Twin carb set up , leave the top bows at home and run it ! What a awesome 1940s hot rod !

Spoggie likes this.
  22. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Here's a side comparison
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441897033.530208.jpg

23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Odd car,
    Notice the rear quarters have model T style T strips and no raised reveal next to the decklid...
    The '31 Cabriolets used the same quarters as the '29 and '30 Cabbies... '29 and '30 Cabbies used leftover Murry doors, [extra reveal around the window, squarer elbow rest ]
    The '31 Cabbie doors are all by themselves...
    Uses the ridged, taller filler rail [under windshield] and a chopped windshield frame... Dash is also different than most '30 -'31s.
    Check the firewall for the body tag [numbers] it only has 2 rivets as is below the 4 rivet patents tag...
    Downright priceless when registering an A on re-pop '32 rails in a non-title state...

24. the motor in my avatar is now in my cab....and it's a driver at the moment....what to do what to do ???

kidcampbell71 likes this.