Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30s Plymouth Coupster to identify

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Stephen Harmon, Aug 1, 2022.

1. MDWingNut

MDWingNut

Good Day Gentlemen,
    I have recently purchased a '32 Plymouth (??) roadster that I am having quite the challenge identifying the model and possibly the year of. There are very few pictures I can find online of anything similar. The squared off front of the doors lead me to a PA rather than PB, but these doors are 34" long. That looks longer than ones I've seen pictures of. The previous owner who inherited the car advertised it as a '32 ford. When I spoke to him on the phone about the car before I set out on a 1/2 day trip to see it (purchased it) he mentioned there was also a title for a '32 Plymouth he inherited as well. So I made the journey and brought the car home since I've never seen a 30s Mopar roadster in person before. It looks like it has potential and is very unique. Obviously this car only retains it's original shell and hood which further complicates my investigation. There are a number of vintage events in my area like the Dirt Drags and Vintage Hill Climb my friends participate in that I have wanted to join in on the fun with them instead of just watching from the sidelines. I have been a Mopar guy all my life and am pretty well versed in their muscle cars but this era is well before my time and even before my Dad was born so my resources are limited. The H.A.M.B seemed like the perfect place to tap into.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Cant help with the year but that is one hell of a start. I like how they beat the body to mate the frame.

51 mercules likes this.
  3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It’s most likely a convertible coupe with the windshield posts cut off and not a roadster. It’d be a PA as PB’s had suicide doors. Still make a cool car.

4. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I’m no help either, except to tell you that’s cool and looks like a solid start for a project.

5. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Agree with the above. Looks like it had roll-up windows. More swoopy than most 32s, could be a 33 or 34. Could make a nice looking car out of it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. chucka

chucka

Don't know where you are, and what the rules are, but that title you mentioned may become all important! Yes, it's a great start, but it doesn't really matter what it is - - - call it a 32 Plymouth and get it titled - - ASAP! Be a shame to get it running and driving, then not be able to take it on the street.

Wanderlust and harpo1313 like this.
  7. MDWingNut

MDWingNut

agreed, whatever the title says rules! That's why I didn't mind buying, a tub and a title"...

8. MDWingNut

MDWingNut

I'll expand my search to those later years, thanks

9. MDWingNut

MDWingNut

the "frame" they mated this body is a mystery in itself. I'm guessing homemade with the beginnings of a 4-link and a ford axle. Thinking about a new full chassis to set the tub on, this is one reason I am trying to identify the car. This chassis would doubtfully support 40hp, definitely not the 400+ hp I have waiting in the wings to install into this ol' girl

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

That frame can be a starting point, looks pretty beefy to me.

11. I agree with Harpo1313. That frame looks like a good starting point. Add some cross members and maybe box the rest of the open frame for starters.
    You look to have a real solid starting point there.

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

IMG_20220801_0001.jpg 32 Desoto Convertible.

13. 31-32 Plymouth PA coupe with the roof cut off. Also lots of "custom" work done to the cowl, dash, and rear roll pan.

302GMC likes this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Doors look longer than '31 Plymouth P-A coupe, my partner had one and I hemi'd it.

15. jeffkau

jeffkau

Looks like a 33 plymouth pc cabriolet.

16. scotts52

scotts52

Chrysler didn't make roadsters in the U.S. from 33 on. I'm not sure when they stopped. I believe it was 31/32. That cowl design isnt 33 onward either. Any chance that 32 Plymouth title is actually for this car? It's looking that way.,

Joel W likes this.
  17. gene-koning

gene-koning

It looks to me to be whatever the title says it is. The only problem I see is the possible lack of serial numbers, which can be a real problem in some states.

Use the existing frame. Box the parts that are not already boxed, add a couple crossmembers, install the 400 HP, and have some fun.

There is no need to make this harder then its already going to be. Building a car from a pile of parts is not easy.

Oldtmtech likes this.
  18. mvee33

mvee33

I agree with Jeffkau. The rear top of the passenger area and the door tops looks like cabriolet/ convertible coupe to me. Check the inside of the door tops to see if the window slots have been welded up. Nice start.

lothiandon1940 and Joel W like this.
  19. Fordors

Fordors

Sure looks like a ‘31 Plymouth PA Convertible Coupe with the windshield cut off and the leading edge of the door tops was reworked also.

Joel W likes this.
  20. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Looks like a Plymouth PA frame to me. I had one before and it hade the bottom flanges bent just like that in the back.

Joel W likes this.
  21. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

Welcome to the H.A.M.B. Stephen__I've copy/pasted a few words from my profile page;

High School, Lost in the 50's...con't: inspired By Bro's Carl & Bob Austin, builders of possibly the hottest , neatest koolest '27 T bucket roadster known as the Rochester Rod, powered by Merc' flathead, especially after they whipped our ( bunch of high school kid's) '32 Plymouth 3 window coupe, powered by Yet another flathead Merc, when Watkins Glen, NY ( mid 1950's ) held drag races...

Your build (to me) looks like a '32-33 coupe , minus the roof as suggested.
    *The '32 Plymouth Coupe that my HS pals and I "butchered" was original having the 4 cylinder engine, rumble seat, and "juice" brakes. We then removed the front fenders and running boards. "cycle fenders" made from a '36 Ford external rear tire cover were brazed to the front backing plates; we called it a "Hi Boy". Next, a stock Mercury flathead V-8 and 37 Ford tran's was added.
    Hope this Helps!?:rolleyes:

wheeldog57 likes this.
  22. MDWingNut

MDWingNut

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm going to attempt to get it registered with the title I have in hand that identifies the car as a 1932 Plymouth with a vin starting with WN then eight numbers after that. I took some close up pics of areas of the car which a lot of comments were made about, like where the windshield would attach (convertible vs roadster) and across the rear (cut off coupe or open air car). The tops of the doors have a narrow slit across the top that looks too small to me for glass to go thru and there are no regulators inside. And the fuel door looks original but I'm not seeing pictures online with one in this location behind the passenger door? I'll keep digging, thanks again.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'Fuel door' MAY have been a door for golf clubs. Chrysler roadsters sported these, (passenger side)

24. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. Joel W

Joel W

I agree, this looks alot like a 31/32 PA convertible coupe that has been modified. What is the quarter panel/behind door structure made of- wood or metal, or has it been reworked? PA has wood inner structure behind the doors, and metal inner structure in the cowl. I would like to see the inside of the passenger quarter, suspect the door is later addition.

26. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

I'm going to say it started as a 31 3 window.

RMR&C likes this.
  27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

31 PA convertible. IMG_20220802_0001.jpg

28. Your a Mopar guy .
    License it as a Dodge as we all know that’s what it is and be happy :D

cool looking roadster-esq ride !!

Get the title out of the way and make it legal before you get to deep into it

29. HOLY CRAP!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: regarding the car in the background

[​IMG]

(if it's legit ... WOW. If it's a clone ... I think I'd love it even more because it'd be something I would feel comfortable putting a ton of miles on. Either way ... WOW :). I've always loved the Dodge version over the Plymouth one)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    das858 likes this.
  30. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

cowl posts, lack of door beltline beads at the front and the tin rising from the rear cockpit combing say 3 window with the roof cut off,,,
    cowl post and the long door;s w/ upper post removed... my vote is coupster,,,

RMR&C likes this.