Register now to get rid of these ads!

30's Ford Convertible Sedan Rear Door Garnish Molding Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by houseofhotrods, Nov 18, 2011.

1. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Are there any V8 Ford gurus out there who can tell me what years Convertible Sedan rear door garnish moldings are interchangeable - if any, or if there is a different molding that can be modded to fit. Wondering if they are the same from '35 to '39. I need one, and I am assuming there is no right or left, though I could be wrong there too. Any light shed on this would be appreciative - and if you know of any out there, or have one - would appreciate any or all leads. Thank you in advance - and thank you to Chris who took this example pic I am posting (I know it's of a front). :)

[​IMG]

2. I had a '35 at one time, and had to track down those pieces. The 1935/36 are styled slightly different than those, they don't have the vertical bars stamped into the center area as in your picture. Also, 1935 parts used rubber bumpers to contact the glass, and the '36 and up used felt strips. I don't remember for sure if I 35/36 parts will fit a 37/39 door, but I bet they are the right length at least. I believe LH and RH are the same, but just look on the doors for the screw hole spacing.

No production parts from sedans or 2dr converts will fit.

At one time Jack Leiland in Indianalpolis made nice repos, but he said 10 years ago he was getting out of that business.

Steve

3. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are some on epay, auction ends on Nov 20th .

4. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Thanks for the info Steve. I will do some further searching. The three I have are definitely the later ones - would like a match, but can always get creative with the 4th, or even the rear pair if need be.

Thank you 36 Cab - I don't know what to make of his comment about being patched with 'fiberglass filler' (hard to chrome I think)- but if it's cheap enough, might work, they are fronts but can shorten them - and they are the earlier ones without the vertical markings of the laters - again, creativity. Will watch, and will patiently continue looking for the correct one too. :)

5. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one original for my 36 cabriolet and looked forever for a second one. I finally found a pair of the Jack Leiland repops and they were very nice and about half the price of what a pair of originals go for. In fact I bought them from the seller of the current auction. This seller deals almost exclusively in 36 Ford stuff. He knows his 36 parts but he also knows what they are worth.

I bought the repops as temporary place holders with the hopes of finding another original someday and change out the repops. But they are so nice I may just leave them on the car and spend my money o something else.

6. boxboy

boxboy

Hi-Tim 39 convert mouldings are 39 only they look alot like 40 ford but 40s have a much more square edged shape to them so don't plan on trying to shorten a 40 convert.The pair on Ebay is 38 and they are very different than 37 or 39. 1935-39 convertible sedan garnish mouldings are the same lengths but different design of course.

7. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Just my luck! Maybe with more eyes on the prowl we'll find one - Thank you, Tim :)