Register now to get rid of these ads!

305 worth using

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Zombie Don, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Zombie Don

Zombie Don
    BANNED
    from tucson

i picked up a 305 long block pulled the heads found water damage pitted cylinders 7,8 bad should i scrap it or build it.how many of you guys out are running hopped up 305's i had 283's 327's 350's and built a couple of 383 strokers but never messed with the 80's blocks

2. IMHO it would cost more to fix it then to buy a good running 350 from a wrecker.
    Even then you still have a 305.

3. I wouldn't fool with it. If you've got to build it, it costs no more to build a 350. I had an '85 Caprice wagon with a 305 and it was a dog, between being geared too high and underpowered. That car would have gotten better gas mileage with a 350. The 305 is OK in a lightweight car, but I would pass on any 305 that had significant issues. 350's are too plentiful to fool with a 305.

4. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

as others said its not worth going through the trouble of building the 305 when its the same price to do a 350.there are soooooo many of them out there that others have built and will sell for half of what it will cost you to do.jm2c

5. Save the crankshaft (same as a 350) and throw the block away. One tip on 305s though to always check. If it's an HO engine from a Monte SS or an Iroc Camaro it's very possible it has great connecting rods. Look for an X cast into the rodcap and look to see if the sides of the rods on the big end are machined flat all the way from the bolt head to the nut. If they are save those too. Save the heads. Someone may want them.

6. Zombie Don

Zombie Don
    BANNED
    from tucson

thanks guys to the scrap yard the block goes

7. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Hmmm?? If you're not concerned with
    environmental issues, it might make a
    good boat anchor! :D (Sorry, I couldn't
    resist)

Seriously, 350's are so plentiful and cheap
    that I can't see that it'd be worth messing
    with or spending any money on it.

Mart3506
    =============================

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

rebuild kits are cheaper for a 350, and machine work is the same. I used a 305 but it was a runner, so I had $150 in it total.

9. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

The small bore on those 305s really made them dogs. If you want a smaller cube SBC, look for a 307. The bore was bigger and the stroke shorter; I've seen a few built that ran pretty good with good MPG.

10. 305, pull any good ancillaries and sell or scrap it. Too much effort for the cost and very little benefit.

11. v8 are gettin hard to find,

12. Lumpster

Lumpster

I have a 305's in my 55 & my 57 Chevy , and there ok for just putterin around. The 57 came with it and I dropped the 305 in my 55 just to ditch the old 6 banger I had in it. All that said , if either motor gives me much trouble at all I'll be on the lookout for a 350.

13. MemphisMafia

MemphisMafia