Register now to get rid of these ads!

303 oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goldflake, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Rockets are cool motors and get lots of attention for the cool factor. There are lots of parts new and used available and great resources like goatroper.

I have a "heavy" rocket in my 32. Lots of power and torque and my four drum brakes stop it well. Very solid and reliable motor. I would never think of putting a modern motor in it so long as I have my 371.

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

1k for a 303 and hydro is alot of coin for something you don't even know runs. I am not trying to sell you on an SBC, but you should be able to find something in the 300-500 dollar range.

As far as going on long trips with an old engine, Olds or whatever, just make sure you have what others have mentioned. Take the car on a reasonable run 50-100 miles before going on the long run to verify no obvious problems.

I drove both my 50 Olds 98 and my 58 Buick Roadmaster over 1500 miles each from where I bought them to my home. Result: Excellent, no problems what so ever.

Curiousity: what would you do if you had an electronic ignition and fuel injection on an SBC and were stranded down the road? Answer: call the tow truck.

now what would you do if you were driving a stock rocket down the road and the coil went bad? Answer: If you had a spare, you would simply remove and replace, and be on your way.

Think about it.

3. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

A rebuilt motor is a rebuilt motor, not one that just starts and runs and has "oil pressure and such" At every single Pomona or Long Beach swap meet at least one or two guys show up with a SBC in the back of their truck, rigged up to start. Throughout the day you can here the idiot starting the dam thing up, open exhaust every time. Usually by noon it's quiet because some one bought the piece of shit. I don't know if showing Colorado ID is required to purchase.

4. I agree! I like to break them in not just start them. Check for leaks and make sure the cam is treated right. I've sent engines overseas and I don't want to leave anything to chance.

This is a valid point but I build mostly Y-Blocks so I just have one run-in stand that is set up for them.

5. By the way I think the 303 would be really cool for the car, SBC is ok if you have no imagination.

6. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Drove a 54 88 4dr. with a 324 and hydo. 2bll, PS, PB's and add on air from Sears. Used to get consistantly 18-20 and sometimes 21 mpg at 65-70 mph. Great car just bought it to resell.

Michael

7. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I agree as long as I'm not paying for it, and I can find someone who wants a run tested motor. I have shipped around 120 or so motors to Europe every year for at least 5 years, not counting local sales. I would have to make a significant price increase to pay for that huge bill.

I had a motor home with a 440, it needed a rebuild. I removed it and did a full rebuild, everything in the heads new. I ran it at home in my driveway for the cam break in and then parked it. later (2 years) I went a different direction and junked the motor home and removed the motor. I had a guy who wanted the short block, so I removed the heads and shelved them at my shop. Later I had a order for a 440 to go to Germany, now this guy buys at least 100 motors a year from me. I built a fresh short block and installed the heads I had rebuilt with everything new for myself. When the motor was received in Germany I got a very angry call from my customer. He said "don't ever do that again" over here people show up to buy a motor and sometimes bring there mechanic and a bore scope. If anything looks used in any way, it's a no sale and I get a very bad reputation. He had removed the heads and all the valves and hand polished them and washed all traces of soot from the chambers and exhaust ports.

8. I can see your point. My engines are custom builds for each person that orders one, I'm not into quick build high production, running them in is just part of the service and I am in contact with my customers troughout the build. it's kinda friendly that way. :) I don't find customers for my engines they look for me.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  9. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

10. goldflake

goldflake

I trust the guy im buying it from that is is a rebuilt motor..I dont need to hear the thing run. Im just thinking that its out of my league at this point. I would not know the first thing about working on the motor....and if I have to take it to someone I would get butt #%$&...Tom is a great guy and I do trust that the motor was rebuilt and ready to run....

11. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

12. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

I like the idea of breaking in a new engine on a Dyno Don't ask me why.... Just gives me a little more piece of mind

13. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

my,35- ah 303 olds:D

Attached Files:

14. Deuces

Deuces

Very nice setup Duane!! I wonder if some 1 inch spacers under the carbs would do the motor any justice...:rolleyes:

15. Dave50

Dave50

I got 1 in the classifieds for sale needs rebuilding