Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 303 Oldsmobile Plug Wire Routing Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lalos53Ford, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Hey Guys and Gals... I recently picked up a 49 Olds with its original 303 powerhouse. I'm gonna attemp to see if she runs but all of the plug wires were pulled on it and I'm not sure which/where to start with on the dist. cap as far as #1 and so on. I've got the firing order but just needed to see which was #1 on the cap. Any and all help is appreciated. I hope to have this little gem going soon.

Thanks in advance!!!!

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Pull #1 spark plug and crank (ignition off) while having a finger over the plug hole. When you feel the compression out the plug hole STOP CRANKING. Now go back and manually crank till the timing mark lines up with the TDC pointer or plate on front of engine.

This should give you plug wire #1 location on the disty cap by looking at the rotor location. Mark the cap or put #1 wire in the cap. Now with the cap off crank engine for just a moment and determine the direction of the rotor. Use that direction to put the rest of the wires in.

#1 plug is driver's side and toward front of engine.

Good luck

3. Dave L

Dave L
    from Idaho

had the same problem a while back, went to the local library and they had the old motor manuals and i was able to look it up and make copies.

hope this helps,

Dave L

4. RDR

RDR

here's a pic of a pic from motors manual...
    good luck

Attached Files:

5. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Thanks Guys!! And the pic is exactly what I needed!