Register now to get rid of these ads!

302w to clevland heads??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Dan

Dan

I have never owned a sbf before so all this is new to me. What is the deal with putting clevland heads on a 302 windsor? Will any clevland work or are there only certain ones? I currently have an edelbrock performer intake, will that work with the clevland heads??

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Boss 302 used what were mostly 4bbl 351C heads. Not much of a street engine I am told. For a time there was an intake manifold made that allowed instalation of 2BBL 351C heads to make a "Bogus Boss" Still pretty killer heads. But I don't know where you would find one of those now. Also they had stepped head bolts. 7/16 threads in the block. 1/2 bolt shank to fit the head.

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SBF & Cleveland are 2 different motors (engines), especially overall size!-----Don

4. Google Cleveor or search Mustang sites... it can and has been done. Not hard, not easy... Like working on a Ford. ;)

JK

Nailhead Jason and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Would newer heads for the 86-95 302 5.0 work?Im just think,n. Parts for those motors is so cheap.like gt40 heads,iron there any where from 6-$800(assembled),The newer mustand 302 parts are so cheap,summit has a whole section in there catalogs just for these motors.Trick flow twisted wegde heads are $1149.(assembled).And I would think they would flow better.Your headers should bolt up with no problem

6. Other than the extinct "Street Boss" intake made for this swap, you can use adapter plates to mount the Windsor intake onto Cleveland 2bbl heads. Check with Price Motorsports; http://www.pricemotorsport.com/index.html . You will have to change the pistons to match the heads.

Steve

7. Tim Meyer has parts to do this, including new B&A "Street Boss" and "Track Boss" intakes, which are back in production. http://www.tmeyerinc.com/bosspage.html As stated above, Price Motorsport carries adapters to run different intakes; also, some of the Cleveland intakes available from Australian companies, like the FunnelWeb, are also made in the shorter 302 block height. http://www.parkerracing.com.au/funnelweb302.html

Whether or not you should do this is another question. The 302 simply doesn't have enough displacement to really work the Cleveland intake ports very well, either 2V or 4V. There are some other things you can do- port stuffers, among others, which have their friends & enemies- but in many cases, you are best off starting with either a 351C block, or a 351W, and building a 393, 408, or possibly a 427 CI stroker shortblock, and then using the Cleveland heads...(or aftermarket Windsor heads, for that matter.) This will produce much better results for a street or moderate race engine...unless you are willing to turn the 302 Clevor over 8000 rpm on a regular basis. This will require an aftermarket block and a lot of very expensive shit.

If you are planning to stay with a 302- and the Performer intake for that matter- you would be much better off using either GT-40P heads, which are found on the last couple of production years of 5.0 Explorers/Mountaineers, or going aftermarket....or using your existing heads, if the Performer is an indication of what you want to build. Building the 302 Clevor will not be cost effective in comparison to what results you'll get.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  8. Weasel

Weasel

Or you could go the other way and use Windsor compatible heads on a Cleveland block - I have....

9. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

DAN...like the man said, cleveland heads came on 351 c.i. fords. but i had a set of WINSOR heads on my 289 mill. there totaly different engines...POP.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

But the Boss 302 had Cleveland heads.

11. Dan

Dan

sounds like that is all I needed to know...this is gonna be a grocery getter so I am going to pass on the heads - had it been a "bolt on" type swap might have done it but sounds like too much trouble and money for this...thanks-

12. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

My dad did this conversion for a customer 20+ years ago. Besides a special intake you need to change the pushrods too. Just my .02c

13. Yes but the BOSS was designed by Ford! A more simple solution is using Edelbrock Aluminum heads. A very simple upgrade that really works

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There were a number of "Bogus Boss" engines built. But as it has been pointed out you need the heads, manifold, pistons, head bolts,and pushrods. It's not rocket science that only Ford could do. Anyone who wants to spend the money for the parts and can swing a wrench can do it. Would I? Doubt it. I might spring tor the TFS heads if I was bulding a SBF. But I'm not.

15. 55chevr

55chevr

We put 2V Aussie Cleveland heads on a 351 windsor block for a late model track car. Aussie heads have small chambers ... They came from a head porter in Ca and really made a ton of power ... It had to use a 500 cfm Holley 2 barrel and they also made a high rise Victor looking manifold for the carb ... had to close up a hole with lead ... but it raced hard and held together ...

16. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Edelbrock has a deal called "E-Boss" alum cleveland heads and matching intake, for a 302.
    Mods all figured out, homework done. They run like stink over 3500 rpm, they look more or less like a boss 302.
    If you like to spin a motor over 5000, its a cool deal, if you're gonna drive it the GT40 (explorer) heads are just fine,
    I think thats the only good thing about an Explorer.

17. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Is is possible? Certainly.

Is it really difficult? Not too difficult, but enough that you will get some bragging rights.

Is it cost effective in 2010? Not when you can get aluminum or iron aftermarket Windsor heads that require fewer special parts, flow well enough to support any reasonable power level, and have updates throughout. The total tab for this setup will be at worst no more than what it would take to fit the Cleveland heads; probably less.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  18. art.resi

art.resi

A 302 with cleveland heads has the power of a 260 at 2000 rpm a 289 at 3000 a 302 at 4000 and a 427 at 6000. Low velocity in the intake at low rpm with the 2.19" intake valves and large runners. The orig first boss 302 had even larger intake valves.

belair likes this.
  19. A couple of years ago there was a place down near Okie City still producing the Street Boss intake.

In answer to the original question the Cleavland head goes on with very little modification. The head bolts are bigger so the original headbolt holes have to be opened up. You have to come up with an intake either by using adapter plates or fabrication or finding one of the afore mentioned intakes or an original Boss 302 intake.

The original Boss 302 used 4V heads and didn't come alive until you reached the upper RPM range. They worked fine on the street as long as you had low gears and didn't mind keeping your revs up. They were a high compression motor and had a lot of cam shaft to go with the free breathing heads. I think emission control coupled with the first gas crunch killed them.

If one is so inclined to build a copy with 351 Cleavland 2-V heads and a modern camshaft then you basically get a 302 Ford that breaths a little better. It will never be like its high winding cousin but it should still out perform your basic out of the box 302.

That's a little abbreviated but it is what it is.

20. 26 roadster

26 roadster

the 2v heads seam to work best, drill a few holes and plug some, intake is still available and use boss pistons. I am putting mine in a 66 mustang w/ M2 suspension

picture didn't post, see albums

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  21. George

George

The Edelbrock heads & intake combo would be easy. It's said with real C heads, 2 or 4 bl, the C/R is real high for gas, octane wise, but the 351M/400 heads would be a better choice.

22. ok let me ask you guys this, i bought an already fresh rebuilt 302 out of a 74 maverick. it has new everything internally and a cam, the guy that built it put 351 heads on it and an edelbrock air gap manifold. what can i expect out of this thing. oh he also bored it .60 over. ive never been a ford guy but its going in a 53 ford and the chev 350 i had was crap so i wanted to go back to a ford. i hooked it up to a c4 trans and a maverick rear end with 3.25 gears.

23. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i played the ford game ,,and im DONE!!! i sold the 302 and putting a 383 stroker sbc in its place.....

belair likes this.
  24. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

It depends on what year 351 heads he put on it, on another note it should pull your 53 pretty good.

25. George

George

'77 & up Ws use 302 heads. .040 is max overbore, usually people stop @ .030.

26. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

That's why I asked mr. h if he know what year they were. I personally won't go over .030, .060 is pushing it, I've seen some at .060 be ok, and some that all ways overheated.

27. tjm73

tjm73

There are Windsor heads that match or out flow the much fabled Cleveland heads.

28. David Chandler

David Chandler

Ford actually advertised the potential of using 351 heads on a 289 or 302, in their original "Muscle Parts" book. It required higher compression pistons to offset the bigger chambers, but bone stock they were suposed to add something like 30 or 35 horsepower. This is circa 1970/71 stuff. They used some special head bolts for the swap, and a gasket set was different to block off a difference in water jacketing. But it was simply a stock gasket for either the smaller engine or the larger one. I can't recall it at the moment. It might be cheaper to simply put bigger valves into a 302 head, and tweek the ports a bit. But that should give you an idea where you stand with your current engine.

29. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

So true, the 351C head swap just isn't as justifiable as it was in the 70's (unless you are going for the "Boss 302 look").

30. redshoes36

redshoes36
    BANNED

The explorer heads are a good ideal. Preferably 95-97. They are the GT 40 heads. Here in Ohio you can buy a set for 150-300$ aset. They are bolt on.