Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 Windsor flex plate confusion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AV88, Oct 15, 2012.

1. AV88

AV88

So I'm putting a 302 Windsor and c4 trans in my shoebox ford and im confused about my flexplate , now i know I have around a 1985 engine with a push n style rear main seal (not rope seal) and the matching late trans . i know that the engine needs the 50oz imbalance, i have the correct harmonic balance and I have a 164 tooth flex plate , Now my question is how do I tell the flex plate is a 50oz imbalance not a 28oz ???? I have nothing to compare to and using the 28oz can ruin the engine , I know i need the 50oz but don't know what it looks like help ,,,thanks here's some pics of what I have , also there is a hole behind the weight which might Identify it ,, I also know this isn't a traditional engine but its affordable and will get my shoebox back on the road and will drive great thanks ImageUploadedByTJJ1350297007.434259.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1350297041.214278.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1350297068.819338.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1350297091.868919.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. johnboy13

johnboy13

I'm pretty sure that's a 28oz flexplate. If I remember correctly, the 50oz plates have more holes and a bigger counterweight.

28oz on the left. 50oz on the right
    [​IMG]

3. AV88

AV88

Maybe I'm still not sure ,but mine has the same amount of teeth and is the same size as the one on the right. Im sure the one on the right is a more later AOD 1990's 50oz with 164 teeth and yes a bigger weight, which I could use and is more identifiable ,see the one on The left is smaller so its a 157 tooth 28oz and mine has more holes than that one but thanks you maybe right im just not sure quite yet hopefully we can all work it out
    But I also just noticed my weight looks a little thinner maybe 28oz???

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  4. AV88

AV88

Anyone else?????

5. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

I measured the weight on my flex plate, 28 oz imbalance. It is .350 thick, 3.800 long by .750 wide.
    One more thing to consider is how far the flex plate sits out from the crankshaft. I have heard that some sit out farther than others.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've got a couple of each in my shop and will look tonight and see if I can determine some definite characteristics so you know which one you have.

Don

7. AV88

AV88

Thanks for the measurements and illl look into that too

8. AV88

AV88

That would be awesome thanks this has turned tricky on me

9. nobby

nobby

10. Cerberus

Cerberus

Here are pics of the front and back of a 1984 302/AOD flex plate, 164 tooth 50 oz. I replaced it with a B&M #50238 new flex plate because a tooth was damaged on it.

Attached Files:

11. AV88

AV88

Thanks for that its looking like mine is a 28oz

12. kracker36

kracker36

I may have a 50oz FP in my shop if you need it. Its yours if I can find it, so just let me know buddy. I also have an aftermarket 50 balancer.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Here is a picture of the weight on the one at my shop, which is a 50 0z 164 tooth. I thought I had a 28 oz too, but I didn't.

[​IMG]

I measured the weight for you and it is a little over 3.57 long and a half inch thick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Don

14. UncleDonnie

UncleDonnie

So if a car had the wrong flex plate it would shake it's self apart at freeway speeds, right? I've got an 87 Mustang 302 engine with a C-4 in a 64 Fairlane. The former owner pulled the fuel injection off and it now has the 289 manifold/carb, distributor, and exhaust manifolds on it. I'm wondering about the flex plate.

Don

15. AV88

AV88

Well that's what mine measures thanks I hope your sure its a 50oz haha it's looking good for me can anyone confirm these measurements for peace of mind and also don does it look the same as my one overall thanks a lot

16. AV88

AV88

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Australia and the postage would kill but if its not to much trouble could you measure the weight for me the length and width thanks alot

17. AV88

AV88

As far as I know if it was wrong the engine wouldn't last long at all like a few miles so if you've driven it already I wouldn't worry :)

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, it looks a lot like yours, and I am certain it is a 50 oz as it came out of an 85 Mustang GT, roller cam motor. We rebuilt the motor and it is in my Son's T bucket right now. I saved this flexplate because it will mate a C4 to the later block.

I looked for part numbers tonight on the one I have and couldn't find anything on it.

Don

19. joee

joee

don't forget you need the correct bell housing for the different dia. flex plates

20. AV88

AV88

Thanks but for some reason I can't see your photos maybe just tell me the size is it the same as dons hotrod shop measurement? Thanks again

21. AV88

AV88

Yup thanks i got it all matching up now :)

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Do NOT click on that post from donaldirush, it is spam !! I have reported him already.

Don

23. AV88

AV88

Roger that !! thanks

24. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm woefully ignorant about all things SBF but looking at the pictures, I believe I see something not mentioned: the flexplate with 50 oz. weight appears to have a large slot diagonally opposite-sorta like the weight itself wasn't enough to achieve the amount of imbalance required so they lightened up the opposite side of the plate. Does this make any sense?

25. AV88

AV88

Yup it makes sense , the plate your talking about is what i think to be the more later 164 tooth with a 50oz weight which is what I need ,but there are also some that don't have that cut out which is the same teeth count and 50oz and hard to I.d which i think i have ,thanks for your help and I understand about the cut making the non weight side lighter but from what ive read the weight definitely looks bigger for the 50oz
    Thanks a lot

26. AV88

AV88

Ok I've decided to just spend the money on the right flex plate , brand new in a packet with the teeth and weight stated on it then I know for sure what I got thanks to you all who helped :)

27. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

The wrong flex plate will show up at idle, not just Interstate speeds.

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ya know, that is probably a smart thing to do. Even B & M and other SFI certified flexplates aren't all that expensive and you won't have to worry about it failing or having to remove the transmission if you find out you really do have a 28 oz by mistake. Plus, the teeth are brand new so the starter won't have any problems engaging.

Good move IMO.

Don

29. Have you got a starter?

30. AV88

AV88

Yup I have but Shannon used a 6 cyl el falcon (Aussie car) one it is smaller and has more torque