Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 swap in my 51 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 71buickfreak, Mar 20, 2007.

1. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

My flathead is wasted and I don't want to waste time and money on shitty engine anyway (hope I don't piss off too many people but they suck) I want to a 5.0 motor in there, are there any kits available?

2. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've done this. Not much to it. I think I picked up a mount kit from someone (hot rod & custom supply maybe?), but it's a pretty straight-forward install even w/o a kit.

The common rear-sump/dual-sump 5.0 oil pan will probably interfere with the stock steering. The best pan is from a mid-60s to early-70s Econoline w/289/302 - it has a center sump. A Bronco/4x4 truck pan will probably also work OK too, but it's more of a flat sump.

If you change your steering, all bets are off. I believe someone makes a kit to put a rack & pinion out of a Cavalier(?) in there. I think there's also a Volvo box conversion too. Do a search here - I know it's been discussed.

4. Ron

Ron

I replaced the flat head with a 302 in my 53 I bought the kit here

http://www.brockmancustomparts.com/page7.html

"49/51 Ford To 289/302 Ford V-8 (Also 351 Windsor) (Bolt In)
    Complete Engine And Tranny (Stick & C-4) Includes All Hardware
    And Instructions. Requires Bronco Or Late Model Mustang Oil Pan.
    Rubber Tansmission Pad (Not Included)"

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I have a 51 with a 351w running the front sump, the front crossmember had to be notched to fit that. Stupid. I am later in the wk putting a dual sump 302 into my 50 this time using the kit. Ill let ya know how it works. The 302 install into my 50 Merc (same supplier) was a breeze.

6. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

I got a kit from Opie's who, I believe, worked for Butch's before they closed. The kit was only about $125.

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Here's some pics of pans:

Left to Right, Top to Bottom:
    1 - Fox body (Mustang, T-Bird, Capri, etc.)
    2 - Dual sump (nearly same as fox body)
    3 - Explorer Pan
    4 - Late Van/4x4/Bronco-style

There's not much room between your rear sump (in Fox/Dual sump) & the drag link (depending on how far back you put the engine too), but the Van/4x4/Bronco pan with the sump more towards the center will gain you some valuable clearance here.

Attached Files:

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I'm in the process of a 302 into my 51. Using the late mustang pan and pickup, haven't bolted it in yet because my mounts I bought from Opies turned up missing last wknd. I wonder where they could be...

9. Primo

Primo

Does opies have a website and are the kits still available?

10. Paul2748

Paul2748

Brockman (the muffler people) advertises a kit for this. 765-489-4111

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I actually got mine from Opies on ebay. Not sure if they have their own site but check ebay - Opies1932 they're available.

12. junkmonger

junkmonger

We used some JAMCO parts to drop a 5.0 HO motor from an '86 Mustang GT in a '49 Ford. It wasn't a simple bolt-in, but it worked. We used their motor/trans mount kit, front and rear springs and sway bars, and ball joint kit. We had to fab up a new radiator mount and inner fender well mounts.

Then we decided we wanted power steering, since it's for my parents' 50th anniversary, and they're too old to armstrong it. We used a power box and linkage from an '87 Dodge Ram 50 p/u from the junkyard. Anything that mounts behind the axle will work. Once it was mounted, we had to notch the frame a little, and modify the Dodge Ram 50 steering linkage, and used the tie rod ends from the '49 Ford. There doesn't seem to be any bump steer, and everything looks solid. I will post pics of the whole thing soon. I just need to organize them. It took a while to set it up, but I think it will work just fine.