Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 302 in a Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by edcj7, Sep 24, 2015.

1. edcj7

edcj7

Okay I have searched all the old post and I really can't find the answer I'm looking for. Is it possible to put a 302 in a Model A on a 32 frame and not have to recess the firewall? All the pics I have found are A's on traditional frames with the firewalls recessed alot.

2. Get a rear sump pan and move the engine as far forward as possible and you shouldn't have a problem. I have seen '31s with FEs that only had the firewall reversed so an SBF in one shouldn't be a problem at all.

1927graham likes this.
  3. edcj7

edcj7

Good because I have a 302 already and would like to use it. Recessing the firewall scares me because I'm tall and really can't afford to lose any leg room. Thanks

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Snow white LTD makes a kit to shorten the front of the motor by 2.5 inches. They use an adapter and an Opal Kadet water pump. Had one on my Roadster for 25000 miles. works great!!!

Dave Mc likes this.
  6. edcj7

edcj7

Sounds good! Thanks.

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Malcolm is running a 302 in his roadster on 32 chassis, I believe. Check out his threads, I'm sure there's bound to be some suitable info for you.

Malcolm likes this.
  8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yes, I'm running a 302/347 in my '28 Model A Roadster on '32 chassis. I flattened the firewall through the center, where it has the kick out. Doesn't affect leg room at all, but does help move the engine back a little --- more clearance at valve covers.

The front crossmember is at the '32 location, also providing more room (approx. 2") than a Model A wheelbase. I'm running a stock cast iron v-belt water pump and factory pulleys. No spacer on the fan blade.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

10. 29ARoadster

29ARoadster

I am putting a 302 in my '29 using the '29 frame. Not sure if a '32 frame makes a difference. Seems like the distance from firewall to radiator would remain the same as a Model A frame? Anyway, I ended up using a Brookville 4" recessed firewall. Yes, there is no distributor in the back, but not much clearance between left head and firewall. Stock waterpump definitely will not work, so went with a Ford Racing pump mentioned above and billet pulleys from CVF Racing. Yeah, its not inexpensive to shorten a Ford motor. I looked at the Snow White setup and really liked it, but had already bought a new Walker radiator with the drivers side lower radiator hose connection. Snow white setup moves it to passenger side. It's not easy and it's not cheap, but my preference is a Ford in a Ford.

11. edcj7

edcj7

12. 29ARoadster

29ARoadster

Just saw Malcom's post. So there would be more room with a 32 frame. That looks nice. I am running full original hood, so my radiator mounting can not move.