Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 302 Ford HEI dizzy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Jun 16, 2015.

1. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

I'm almost ready to purchase a dizzy for my 5.0 302,(previously efi) . I found some of these on eBay. Basically a gm HEI for a ford 302. Anybody had good luck with these? Are they junk? I've also read I can use a regular points dizzy from the early 70's. Not really wanting to run points though. I'm on a budget and a Mallory is not an option right now. The price for the dizzy kit you really can't beat. And yes these things are big and ugly, but you won't see it with the hood shut.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434485977.878434.jpg

2. ugly and junk

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I had one on my 351M. The guy that sold me on doing it (mechanic and drag racer) said if its not MSD to not do it at all. Mallory might be good as well, but the chinese made ebay ones are probably going to be more trouble than its worth.

My MSD, despite being big and ugly, was super reliable, worked like a charm, never left me stranded and easy to wire in

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Sorry tedley,I disagree this has been in my 302 for four years: http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6502-R Never an issue and uses all readily available GM parts ;) Simple one wire hookup too.Many MSD products are now outsourced from China,lots of info on that on Google these days.
    \'54 Engine & AC 007 (Medium).jpg

5. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I had one on an OT mustang. Ran perfect. I only had one small problem but that was with an aftermarket aluminum intake but a little grinding with a dremel fixed that.

6. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Seems like it would at least get me going for now, till I save some more money for another. Thanks jeffb2 for the link. If it worked for 4 years now with no issues I'm sold. Jeffb2,Was there any issues with the large cap hitting anything. Also , I've heard of different lengths of shafts after the gear

7. willymakeit

willymakeit

I cannot attest to any performance issues. I have one I installed but took out because it interfered with the manifold and air cleaner I wanted. Couldn't get over how ugly it was. Ended up installing a unilte. We'll see how it works someday.

8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Have one on the 302 in my 53F100. Been on there a few years with no problems. I agree that they are ugly but I seldom open the hood and the price was great.

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I wouldn't run it EVEN if it was free! Just awful looking. Run a Pertronix or something that looks normal. JMHO.