Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 302 Ford CAM!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BetsyVanDeVille, Jun 1, 2015.

1. BetsyVanDeVille

BetsyVanDeVille
    from Mars

Wanting to put a RV cam in my 302. I am gonna try to explain the best I can, because I never delt with cams before. Was curious what brand would be good? I am looking for medium idle, I do not want to have to modify anything. Mine is not a roller.

Help!

Betsy

2. Timbofor

Timbofor

Tell us more about your combo, automatic, stick, gears, intake and carb?

I don't have any specific recommendations for you. I'm sure others with more technical knowledge will be of more help. I looked at a few different
    cams and narrowed it down by doing a YouTube search and listening to video clips of different cam grinds. I wanted the extra hp but didn't want some nasty big cam that sounds like a wanna be drag racer. All in all, I'm very happy with the result.

3. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you say "RV cam" that generally means a smooth running, torque producing cam for moving heavy vehicles (pickups, vans, RV's, trailer towing) Most all of these types of cams work with stock carbs, converters, etc. Dual exhaust is usually strongly recommended. Contacting one of the better makers (Comp, Crane, Isky) for their recommendation is usually a safe bet. They can guide you when you give them more factors like vehicle weight, final gear ratio, transmission type, etc, etc.

4. aaggie

aaggie

Ford made several versions of the 302. Different years had different firing orders so when you make the decision be sure and order the right one. Don't expect a big performance improvement from just a cam change. Match it with the right intake and exhaust and you could probably gain a noticeable amount of power.

5. BetsyVanDeVille

BetsyVanDeVille
    from Mars

1971 302 stock, 4 Barr intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, straight AOD Tranny