Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 302/AOD starter confusion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brokedownbiker, Aug 15, 2018.

1. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm almost to the finish line of my '51 Ford sedan powertrain conversion.. It's a freshly rebuilt 1968 302 with an AOD out of an '88 Thunderbird and a rear end out of a '91 Ranger with 3.55 gears. I have the 28 oz. 164 tooth flexplate in it as well. My last hurdle is figuring out which starter to use. I've been told and read several different answers and now I'm totally confused. Long nose, short nose, 7 tooth, 9 tooth, full-size, mini, 157 tooth ring gear or 164 tooth ring gear, etc.....
    Can someone school me (in simple terms) on what starter I need to use with this combination?
    I'd sure appreciate it.

2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

This isn't gonna end well. (this thread)

3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

88 Thunderbird starter.

4. topher5150

topher5150

I was thinking the same thing

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Was the T-bird 50 oz. AOD flexplate 164 tooth? If so, and you are using a 164 tooth 28 oz flexplate, as you have stated, then I agree with okiedokie in post #3 above. Are you also using the T-bird AOD block plate (the tin piece between the block and trans case)? That is an important part in correctly locating the starter in relation to the flyhweel/flexplate.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

'94 Mustang PMGR

7. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

This is copied out of a Speedway PDF:

When measured, the distance from the rear face of the engine block to the aft edge of the starter ring
    is approximately .800 in. The starter ring is .375 thick, thus the forward edge of the starter ring is
    approximately .430 aft of the rear face of the engine block. All of the frequently used auto trans
    flexplates, whether 157 tooth or 164 tooth, follow this nominal dimension +or- .035.
    For the manual transmission starters the dimension from the back of the engine block to the aft edge
    of the ring gear on the flywheel is .420 in, the starter ring is still .375, which leaves the forward edge
    of the ring gear only .050 aft of the engine block. HOWEVER, this only applies to the old large
    diameter (14
    1⁄8” dia) 164 tooth flywheels! On the small diameter (13¼” dia)157 tooth flywheels the
    backspacing is the same as with auto trans flexplates. So, a starter for manual transmissions will not
    work with the 157 tooth manual transmission flywheel, even though it could be bolted to the engine.
    The majority of the late model applications using the T-5 five speed transmission used the small 157
    tooth flywheel, hence we see starters designated for a “5 speed manual trans”, it is not actually the
    transmission, but the diameter of the flywheel (and subsequent ring gear backspacing) that dictates
    the AUTO starter be used. It has nothing to do with a 3,4,5 or 10 speed trans, it is all about the flywheel that they are using.

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The late model mini starter is what you want. Found on 5.0 V8's in Mustangs, Explorers and TBirds and Cougars, also used on the V6 used in the late 80's-early 90's TBird and Cougar. I get them at the pull a part for around $15. It has the solenoid on top like the Chevy does, so you will need a fender or firewall mounted relay from one of the listed cars also. When I get one I try and get the factory harness from the starter back to the relay.

10. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to go with okiedokie's and Hnstray's advice and get the starter that fits the T-bird, that is the way I was leaning anyway. I'll post tonight and let y'all know how it works out.
    Thanks for all the input folks!

11. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry about the delay, it took me awhile to get back over to work on the car, had to go out of town unexpectedly for a few days.
    I got the starter that matched the donor transmission ('88 T-bird), it went in just fine and engaged properly when I powered it up and 'bumped' the switch. I think that solves this problem, now on to the next one! Lol, there is always a "next one", right?

Thanks folks for all the input and information; I hope that y'all know what a help and technical resource you are, especially for those of us with limited experience!

Hnstray and Budget36 like this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

brokedownbiker.....Thank You for reporting on the outcome...always appreciate knowing if and when a problem gets solved!

Ray