Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 302 and t5 in 56 customline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeremy Welker, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Jeremy Welker

Jeremy Welker
    from Mendon OH

We want to put a 302 and T5 manual Tran in a 1956 Ford Customline. Will it fit? What parts would I need? How much modification would I have to do? Should I just go with a different transmission?

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Jeremy Welker

Jeremy Welker
    from Mendon OH

cause i would like input and the knowledge and experience from someone that knows more than i

4. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

If the T5 is out of a Mustang, the shifter will be very close to the stock seat. You might be able to modify the shifter or go with bucket seats. The other option is to use an S10 pick up tail shaft on your trans. I put a Mustang T5 in a 55 crown vic for a customer. If you want more info, e mail me at [email protected]

5. Jeremy Welker

Jeremy Welker
    from Mendon OH

thank you, how much will i have to modify the hump? we had another thought about a truck 3 speed with overdrive, im thinking it would be shorter

6. I have a 302 & a 5 speed in our 54 Ford Ranch Wagon,you will have to modify the X member but that's not to hard to do.

I used the engine & transmission out of a 84 Mustang and I modified a old Hurst stick to bolt in place,I also kept the original bench seat.

If you will click on the link of my build it may help you with some of your questions. HRP

7. Jeremy Welker

Jeremy Welker
    from Mendon OH

what did u do for trans mount

8. Made a flat plate and used the Mustang mount. HRP

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP shows the trans crossmember in photo 67 of his album He shows the engine and trans install in the bare chassis in photo 66. Those start on page 3.
    http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/hotrodprimer-1/page3.html

Looking at photo 70 I'd think you can get the shifter to come out right where you would want it in the 56. Right about where the shifter on a 4 speed would be.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  10. Jeremy Welker

Jeremy Welker
    from Mendon OH

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. evintho

evintho

Answers to all your questions in the '52-'59 Ford Social Group.
    At the top of this page click on the 'Members' tab (the 3 heads), click on 'social forums', click on 'brands' then find the '52-'59 Ford Social Group. Everything you need to know is in there.
    BTW, I'll be putting a 302/AOD in a '54 Customline next year.

JeffB2 likes this.
  13. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

If your shifter is back to close to the seat you could make a linkage setup to move the shifter towards the dash . I did this with a Ford 302 and T5 tranny and put it in my 36 Chevy pickup , it was never road tested but seemed to shift through the gears with no problem . I don't think I have any pics of the setup but I'll look.

14. I used a old Hurst 3 speed shifter,I cut the bottom off and drilled holes to attach the shaft protruding from the transmission. HRP

3002c265-3193-40d7-95b0-4048ca91879f.jpg

15. Jeremy Welker

Jeremy Welker
    from Mendon OH

would a 3 speed with overdrive out of a f150 do me better , or will o run into more problems?

16. I don't have a clue,after living with it for the last 5 years if I were to do it over I wouldn't change a thing. HRP

17. Jeremy Welker

Jeremy Welker
    from Mendon OH

do you have a bench seat?

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fill out your profile to include your location.

I have a Mustang T5, and a S10 T5 for sale. With the S10 tail on the Mustang T5, and a speedometer gear relocator, you will not have seat interference.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More gears = more better. The gear spread on the 3+od is to wide. It is a great truck transmission, but you're not building a truck.

20. Jeremy,have you even looked at the link I posted? and so did another member,there are over 300 step by step build photos that will answer a lot of your questions. HRP

CLICK HERE

21. Jeremy Welker

Jeremy Welker
    from Mendon OH

yes i did and it has i keep going back to it

22. Jeremy Welker

Jeremy Welker
    from Mendon OH

i really like this idea, wish i was closer probally cost a small fortune to ship. but i would like to learn more about it, is their a website on how i can do this myself?

23. Jeremy Welker

Jeremy Welker
    from Mendon OH

im confused on what he did with the k member. one picture looks like he took it out and the next its there. doesnt mention if he modified it or the tunnel. im not afriad of modifying either 1 if i have too. im sure i will have too. guy did a amazing job

24. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

danny tells you what is done under every picture

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Top cover, shift rail, shift forks (all one assembly) come from the S10 T5, and go onto the Mustang T5.

A speedometer gear relocator from that auction site puts the S10 speedometer gear on the Mustang output shaft, in the S10 location. A Mustang T5 bushing and seal go in the S10 T5 tail housing, and then it goes on the Mustang T5.

26. Jeremy Welker

Jeremy Welker
    from Mendon OH

any idea what year s10 or sonoma

27. Jeremy Welker

Jeremy Welker
    from Mendon OH

or how much do u need for just the parts for me to do the swap

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Up to 89. After that, they have an electronic speedometer drive.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED!

A T5 is a heavy thing. Shipping might make it a bad deal.

30. evintho

evintho

I've shipped a couple of T5's from here to the east coast via FedEx........$85.