Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 air system block off plugs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostforawhile, Aug 16, 2012.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I understand the car is off topic for the board, but this info may be useful to someone with a 302 in a rod who needs the info, so I'm keeping it on topic, I'm in the process of removing the air system (emissions part) from a 90 302, I understand that Ford makes special plugs to block off the ports in the cylinder heads for this system, Does anyone know the actual threads etc of these? if it's a common item there is no point in me ordering it from ford, I'm having to remove the system because it's leaking everywhere and it doesn't work anyway, I'm sure those who have put one of these in a rod has run into the same issues while setting yours up, it's the ports that connect to the stainless mess of tubes,the ones on the back of each head

2. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! They're 5/8-11 threaded inserts... They are also threaded on the inside...

3. Deuces

Deuces

I had to buy a pair at the Ford dealer for my "new" GT-40 iron cylinder heads...

4. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

i got mine at my machine shop

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thanks guys if I know the threads I can make some :D I just remembered we still have a rebuilder in town who didn't go out of business, I might check with him, if they are something that's cheap I'll just buy em

6. Deuces

Deuces

Cool!! Make sure you put a nice lead at the end so it seals... ;)

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I'm looking forward to removing all that crap on my engine, none functions anyway and you can't even change right hand spark plugs with it in the way

8. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! been down that road before... With a couple of Fox ponys.. One I still have...:rolleyes:

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well this is a towncar,old one but the crap is leaking exhaust somewhere, I just need to do something about those awful log manifolds when I can, I found that every bit of manifold hardware had loosened itself, at least it won't be hard to remove :D thats why they leak oil everywhere, to make it easier to change exhaust stuff, before I got it someone called them a self oilier, now I get the joke

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I wonder if someone makes caps to block off the air inlet tube into the converters? eventually all that junk is getting done over, but it would save me a lot of trouble not having to get a ride while I welded up pieces of the original tubes, not trying to make this off topic thought I would bring that up for a second

11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I used some short bolts with correct threads, been there several years. Don't remember size though.

12. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

I have a bag of them. Let me know if you need some. I'll never use what is there. I have collected lots of 302 engines and parts over the years. All roller motors.

CN