Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '30 pontiac 3W build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toreadorxlt, Nov 4, 2010.

1. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

I guess i'll start one of these things.

I acquired a 30' pontiac body from my brother in exchange for doing some work to his flat roof T. I figured with my old project truck out in storage, now is a good time to pull the pieces out of the basement and start stringing them together.

Odd thing is, he has another identical 30 pontiac body, and this was his 'donor' body, which means he stole the visor and windshield posts off of mine to make his more complete. Enough babble.

The start
    [​IMG]

starting stringing the panels together the other night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oliver westlund likes this.
  2. Keep us updated, i want to see this build.

3. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

That very much needs a nice Pontiac mill

4. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

love that oval back window!:D

5. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Subscribed as I have a 29 thats still a pile of parts. What are going to use for the windshild posts. That the same problem that I have.

Contact rarerodder here on the hamb for any missing parts that you may need. He is an early Pontiac guy and may have some parts hanging around he might part with.

6. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Looks like a good start! What are you going to use as a frame? I have a 1931 plymouth also has that oval rear window. Best of Luck Joe

7. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

Thanks for the heads up. as far as posts, my initial thought is to fabricate some as I figure they would be really really hard to source.

I am planning on scratch building the frame from tubing. I love these oval rear windows .

8. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Dude,
    The rear window (and whole car) is very cool. I'd put some tail lights on that match the shape of the wondow. Pontiac mill is a must and very cool/strong motors.
    Paul

9. there was a roof section someone posted last week for id. it was in maine and i can't remember if it had the window posts.

10. fattysgarage

fattysgarage

I think its sweet, I love old Pontiac's, especially the flathead motors. Keep the updates coming!

11. puckm2

puckm2
    from oregon

Two things.

The rear window is super cool.
    It's refreshing to see a shop that's not as sterile as a hospital.

12. Good to see an old GM car being brought back to life. Keep us posted

13. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

thanks....I guess? I strive to keep it clean but it just doesnt happen.

14. kookee

kookee

Much applause! I am glad to see the diversity! Such projects are a are more of a challenge, but are unique and rewarding.

I will definately be following this build.

Keep it up!

15. lawman

lawman

Keep posting. Love that back window. Tom (Tired Old Man)

16. I agree with the above. Begs for a Pontiac motor.

17. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

which poncho motor do you guys think would be best? I was looking at 60's 455's.

Im 25 and broke, so I was going to throw the evil SBC in it until I can afford something proper, but you guys convinced me otherwise

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  18. Bigjake

Bigjake

350 pontiacs can usually be had cheap and respond well to cams/head swaps. Late 60's they had a 350 HO option that was basically a 350 with 400 heads and cam that ran well. Might try to duplicate that.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  19. F&J

F&J

In he mid to late 60s around here, there was a red hotrod coupe 3w chop/channel, running what was said to be a 389 with trips. It had bobber rear fenders, and cycle fronts because of the fender law. Anyways, we never asked what body make it was, it was a "Coupe" as we called all hotrod coupes back then. Did not matter what brand then, because it was rare to see a hotrod on the roads.

The posts and visor won't be a big deal to find or make. Chevy probably will work. Visor can be off most any brand with a slice and weld.

20. Pinewood

Pinewood

If you're looking for custom designed plans on the chassis I've got one... I had a 30 Plymouth that I was going to build. I had a chassis designed and started until I came across a Model A that was in allot better shape. The 30's mopars are cool cars and you rarely see them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. OK, I'm posting this photoshop back up that was done a while back here on the HAMB to show how badass a 1930 Pontiac coupe can look. The unanswered question remains about how to chop without ruinning that beautiful back window opening. Here is the stock (real) car and the photochopped version.

Attached Files:

Wurger likes this.
  22. Jax2A

Jax2A

As soon as I saw it I thought Tri-powered 389 would be bitchin'.

drtybiker likes this.
  23. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

I have got a simular back window in my '32 Plymouth, did anyone ever chop such a back window and how does it looks, pics please

Attached Files:

24. AutoAddict

AutoAddict
    from Orlando FL

You might find the A-Pillars from a salvage yard in Sarasota FL.Not sure of the name, but if you search on Hemmings site for 29-31 Pontiac in parts it will pop up. I have never spoke with them but have heard they have a few Pontiacs in this year range. Remember that 30-31 had curved A-pillars where 29 and older had straight ones.

I am currently building a 30 2dr Sedan and need a few parts for it. Right now I am looking for the cowl chrome moulding.

[​IMG]

25. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

Sold my OT custom truck and progress is beginning again on the Pontiac. Started welding the roof to the quarters. Progress will be slow and steady starting now.[​IMG]

Also, Gigantor off of here was kind enough to donate a section of roof he found in the woods as patch panels for my caved in and dented up passenger side. Before welding it in, I wanted to try my hand at dolly work on the dented up roof because I had nothing to lose....turns out I banged it back close enough to be saveable.
    [​IMG]

It was bad before. Still needs alot of love but I got time.

26. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Cool car... If you need some measurements on the 29/30 Chevy a pillar covers and or pics, let me know. Also I have my visor handy if you need measurements...

Are you going to keep the wind up windshield? The regulators show up on ebay occasionally...

27. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

the plan is cowl steering and under dash brake/clutch master cylinders to the wind up windshield will have to go. I'll settle for a flip out. I really wish it had a cowl vent though for those hot summer days

28. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

You realize that the windshield regulator is located above the windshield, behind the visor. that's one of the neat things about the early gm closed cars. No need to get rid of it for the under dash stuff. When I get mine dug out, ille snap a pic.

29. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

that would be great if you could... I was unaware.

30. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Also, IF you decide to go the sbc route, the canadian 55-7? Pontiac V8 is a sbc with unique valve covers that say pontiac on the top. Do a search on here for them. You will need to run the early staggered bolt pattern heads (power pack)