Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Model a tudor build first build ever

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mechman_22, Dec 29, 2014.

1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

The 440 fits fine in a tudor body. Almost as wide as the cowl. kb4.jpg

Keep pushing Mechman car is coming along and congrats on the motor score. And deff look into doing a good small z on the frame.

Im 6'3" 300 lbs and drive this thing.. 4" chop and 5" channel.. only suggestion.... 3" or 4" channel. Chop is perfect, door openings you can get through pretty decent. 6" or more your going to have problems getting in and out.

2. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

well slow and steady got a little more done, got the running boards and mounts off the frame and also got the rear bumper off. only have a couple more small stuff to take off the frame to where it will be stripped enough to start figure out the ride height and exactly how I wana build it. IMG_5154.jpg IMG_7405.jpg

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

It looks like ratrods are taking over this forum

olskoolrodder likes this.
  4. Bluedot

Bluedot

There are a few times in life when I am glad I am small. At 5'6" and 147, I am quite comfy in a 4" chopped coupe (no channel). Yet I still bang my head on entry or exit once in a while.
    As others have said, do your own thing on design and drivetrain. My only recommendation, agreeing with a few others, is be sure you make it comfortable. And safe. An exterior cool look is good, but I hope you'll be spending more time in it and driving. Do a LOT of research here on the HAMB. Something as stupidly simple as old door handle removal can be exasperating (ask me how I know!), and many fellas here have already conquered all the petty stuff. We love to share advice and counsel.

5. Not really I guess you didn't look at the pics or your definition of Hot Rod vs Rat Rod are skewed. The Model T chassis looked pretty dam good to me and not some cobbled up rat rod.

Eric build that Tudor anyway you want and don't build it to keep a few bench racers happy on a forum. I'm excited to see what route your gonna go and how it will turn out brother!

6. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I don't know why you are spending so much time on that original frame. The type of build you describe will require a custom built Z'd frame anyway which would be a way easier to do with square tubing than a boxed stock frame. Any kind of extra horsepower will twist that stock frame like a pretzel. Personally I think you should go back to post #49 and take a long hard look at the deuce framed hiboy look. It will make for a more practical driver than a car you have to crawl in and out of on your hands and knees.

thehazmatguy likes this.
  7. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

Mopar you know ill build it to how I want it and damn glad your willing to help me out, hard parts figuring out how exactly I want to build it im still up in the air with the two ways as a high boy or chopped channeled two seater 2220868351993.jpg 00p0p_gk5ShxriTlO_600x450.jpg

8. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

couple more hours in on the frame got it pretty much stripped down to the bare frame just got a couple more brackets to get off and then start wire wheel to make it Purdy and to see if there's any bad rust spots. even getting a little bit at a time is still moving forward. sorry about the crappy pictures its was dark and using my car lights to help out since my garage has shit lighting. need to upgrade that was well
    IMG_0264.jpg IMG_1488.jpg IMG_2570.jpg IMG_8999.jpg

PanelDragger likes this.
  9. PanelDragger

PanelDragger

10. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

Progress has been slow but starting to pick up. still sitting with a bare frame. I have started to split the wishbones and got my axle back from being dropped by Okie Joe Casto at Joe's Speed Shop. Him and his wife are awesome people to deal with and answer any question you can throw at them. would highly recommend them!! located a T5 trans that I hope to pic up this weekend, found some D00E 351w heads with roller rockers for a great great price, so snagged them up, I have to get my 32 front cross member and my boxing plates. last night I got a good hour in so started to weld up some of the holes in the frame that I didn't want there anymore. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

11. Before you go any further, read up...look at builds in the Traditional Hot Rods section. Buy some books (Don Montgomery's are phenomenal and the Bishop book "How to Build a Traditional Hot Rod" is a huge help)...educate yourself. Some of the cars posted in this thread might be 'nostalgic' but they are certainly not "traditional" - and not at all what we cover here.

Ryan has a good primer for what constitutes a traditional hot rod right here; pay attention to the "period correct" aspect. Look at the pics attached; study how the suspensions were built, what engines were used, styling, wheel/tire combos, finishes, etc.. Cars in this section are virtual time capsules; they are built in historic styles using historic parts (many times) using historic techniques.

The main board (Hokey Ass Message Board) is the place for hot rods & customs approximating those outlined in the Traditional Hot Rods section, but with a less-strict adherence to period correctness...these cars are traditionally styled, but may have more modern transmissions, brakes, etc.

Building a traditional car isn't a paint by numbers proposition, but there is a basic template; history provides that for us. We invite you to discover that history and consider building your car as a chapter to be added to it.

Best of luck!!

R A Wrench and bengeltiger like this.

12. Eric we've been saying this all along brother, take this gents advice it's on point. Remember were all here to help ya! Swing by the house this weekend me and nick are gonna be working on the 25. Don't get to caught up on my build, it's not a 100% traditional but it will still be a cool hotrod built, not bought, with Mostly Old Parts And Rust (well maybe not the rust) MOPAR

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Nailhead Jason likes this.
  13. Lad_RoadDevils

Lad_RoadDevils

And my post was deleted.... classic HAMB.

14. Indeed. If you don't like the word "traditional" you'd probably be much happier somewhere else. If you desire further clarification, feel free to contact me.

15. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

well got some more done to the sedan. after getting the frame table from a bud . I started on lengthening the frame to fit the 351w without having to recess the firewall. where the old engine mounts where seems little to iffy for me so I removed that section as well. As we used our friends idea on how to lengthen our friends frame I followed with the same "good" idea. needed to add 5 in and replace the 3.5in I cut out because of corrosion. also did a 2in Z cut to make it more ridged and less stress than just straight threw cut

IMG_7715.jpg IMG_7912.jpg IMG_0052.jpg IMG_0054.jpg IMG_0060.jpg IMG_0061.jpg IMG_0062.jpg

PanelDragger likes this.
  16. Looks good, now let's square it up and Z the rear!

17. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

IMG_3899.jpg oh forgot pick up nice set of wheels for the sedan

18. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

19. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

well after getting the frame rails lengthened to help fit the 351w it was time to install the new front cross member since the original was shot. used the stock middle cross member for now to help keel everything inline and square. also put the rear cross member back till I was ready to do the rear kick up. after everything was tacked in place. IMG_2128.jpg IMG_7015.jpg IMG_4943.jpg IMG_6940.jpg IMG_2393.jpg

PanelDragger likes this.
  20. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

21. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

also removed the fuel tank. while doing so I found a older wrench that someone had left on one of the harder to reach nuts. its not too old but was a cool little find IMG_6233.jpg IMG_4432.jpg IMG_0106.jpg

22. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

23. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

front kick up.jpg front kick up1.jpg well over the last couple of days I started to work on the front sweep. after looking around and figuring out what I wanted and how I wanted to sweep it, I started to hit it hard. With the help from Matt@Eastwood and the video he posted on his coupe build thread I was off to get it done over the next couple days

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    PanelDragger likes this.
  24. Trucker Jim

Trucker Jim

25. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

ah yes as you know lol well very little has be getting done but there is a sluggish movement. as of now I had it mocked up to see how everything was so far. next will be making and mounting the front wish bone mounts, find engine location and start on the trans mount and middle k member of sorts,
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5 (2).jpg
    1.jpg

PanelDragger likes this.
  26. H@h@ looks good buddy.

Pic 3 looks like you have the wrong spring up front, your shackles are at a 45 deg without weight on the chassis... and pic 5 your pinion angle is about 80deg to much....

Haha get to work buddy and get a roller done.

Nick Berrier says get all your stuff together and he'll come finish your frame. I'll come over and drink beer..... I mean supervise.......

Parts list:
    -Front & Rear wishbone mounts
    -Rear spring mounts for spring to axle
    -rear bones, or ladder bars, or four link....Nick suggest 4 link the rear for floor clearance and I agree
    -steering box... suggest an F1 box
    -engine mounts

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Seiera echo November delta

November umbrella delta echo Seiera

Oscar foxtrot

Hotel echo romeo

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hutkikz likes this.