Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Model a tudor build first build ever

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mechman_22, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Thanks it has been a rolling project forever! I am planning on re configuring my trunk pan and locating the fuel cell under the trunk for more cargo capacity. I would like to start the body work and paint it this year I just have to be easy on the throttle and not grenade another engine! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420211491.332206.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420211533.461010.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420211601.758426.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

R A Wrench likes this.
  2. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

well picked up a ford 9in from a bud today. got home and couldn't resists tearing into it. so here are some pics, yes I did fit a axle in my tiny ass car along with my big ass self 6'4" 250lbs. its always funny when I got to meet people to buy stuff and I pull up and get out, had one guy tell me damn I was expecting someone little smaller to come outa that lol. goind to start cleaning it up tomorrow.
    23.jpg 22.jpg 18.jpg 21.jpg 19.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Nailhead Jason likes this.
  3. Dude you could have asked to use the truck!

4. Pics of what a nailhead in a ford.......

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420425342.690581.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420425364.184183.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420425379.159821.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420425390.133403.jpg

R A Wrench likes this.
  5. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

well had some free time so I started to take of the front end. also found out that the engine still turns and isn't locked up. lots of rusted blots. well on to the pics. hope to get some more completed tomorrow, hope you enjoy. still on the hunt for the drive live as well just haven't found the right one yet :(
    59.jpg 60.jpg 61.jpg 57.jpg 58.jpg

6. Looking good! Any idea on drivetrain yet?

7. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

right now have my eye on a 322 nail head. got the title back in mail free and clear and in my name YES lol. right now I plain on running 220v plug in the garage and try to free up a little more room. then next step is to brace the body and get it off there. want to move faster but gota get ducks in a line frist

8. glrbird

glrbird

One thing you might concider befour you embark on this jorney, where do you plan on driving it,. a low slung car looks good going down a smooth highway, but is not prictacal for speed bumps and pot holes on your average street. Make sure its a fun car to drive as much as you want.

R A Wrench and Mechman_22 like this.
  9. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

well very slow with the updates. I have tacked two support bars in the car and going to finish bracing the body to be removed, as far as drivetrain its still up in the air, sucks selling stuff you have to fund another project lol, but selling my browning 1919 to help fund the car. and plan on getting some work done this week end so will be getting updated pics soon

10. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

so it has been a slow, but I was able to go to show with a bud and found a model a that was there. only one lol, I asked him all kinds of question. at the end he told me to sit in the car to see how I liked it, well with me being 6'4 250lbs I fit alright had about 2in of head room lol. he only had a 4in chop no channel. so I have to really plan this out as how I need to have the seat and everything. he had his roof filled in which made it hard to see stop lights and such,

11. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

well made some better progress to day, got the damn body off finally, attched the engine lift to the spare tire mount in the rear to get the rear up in the air enough, they used a long 2x4 and put it under the bracing that I make to keep the body some what straight, they me and bud lifted it off while other buddy pulled frame out from under and slid the body dolly in place, sorry no pics of it being done just the after math. once I got the body off I started to clean off the frame to see if the numbers matched (frame and engine) for shits a giggles but can find any numbers where they say it should be located. anyone have any idea where they could have stamped it? well now that the bodys off I hope to get going somewhat faster now but time and money will tell, next is still taking apart the frame and seeing what condition its in, trying to get the body patch panels that I need on order, and well see how that call comes along
    4.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 2.jpg 17.jpg 6.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 16.jpg 9.jpg 11.jpg 8.jpg

R A Wrench likes this.
  12. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Very nice. This is going to be a good build. I like the body cart. The two things that have helped me to build mine at home is one, an old swing set that I use as a A-frame with a chain hoist. & two, an old metal bed frame with casters welded to the bottom of it.

Mechman_22 likes this.
  13. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Now that you have sat in a chopped model A, any ideas yet on how much you are planning to chop and/or channel??

14. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Don't fool with Moparob, he'll have a 440 stuck in there. Seriously, he is a good guy, he'll be a lot of help, don't tell him I was bragging on him. Couldn't you Z the front and rear frame and then do a 3 1/2, 4 inch chop? Channel and chop is going to equal no room. I was looking at 1 today with a 5 in chop and a 6 in channel. I'm 6 ft and there was no way I could drive that thing. Good luck with your build, keep us posted.

15. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

thanks chessterd5 I hope it turns out good load road ahead. Waxhead im still up in the air but Im still thinking 3-4in channel and then figure out the chop once the bodys is mounted and then adjust from there, as far as how high the seat and stuff other specs are going to be

16. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

mike yeah I plan on running a z frame but still want channel to hide the frame, I have been looking at a really low laid back seat, kind of like I ride now with my acura lol big guy little car,. moparobs a great guy and full of knowledge im sure glad that I was able to becomes friends and that hes willing to help me out

17. If you are open for suggestions, I realize that yours is not a coupe, but you could do something like this with the full fenders and still maintain some headroom while still looking bad.

Attached Files:

18. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

i plan on running axle out in front of frame so don't think the fenders would be option

19. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

20. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

thanks I got some lower door patch panels and quarter panel patches. got to scrape some more penneys to get the rest of the patch panels needed to get the lower section of the body fixed up, coolbreeze1340 that car is great looking. I love the 32 frame,

21. Jade

Jade

This!

22. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

got couple hours in the garage sunday and was able to pull the old four banger and trans out still have to get it down to frame but closer than i was when i started. on to the pics

engine2.jpg
    engine.jpg
    engine1.jpg

Attached Files:

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  23. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

a little bit of an update, one of the guys at work told me that he a 351 Windsor that he didn't want anymore, so headed out there last week and snagged it up. got it home got some of the un needed stuff off of it. its a 96 block spins so need to do some testing and see if shell work or not 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      155.4 KB
      Views:
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

It may not look like it now but you can get that thing looking traditional easy and affordable. Good snag get at it.

25. you asked about the serial number... it is stamped on top of the left frame rail behind the steering box.
    about the chop/channel thing, Mine(avatar) is chopped 4" and channeled just enough to cover the frame, about 2 1/2". I'm 6foot tall and hate to say 240lbs and I fit ok but it is amazing how small these cars are. You think your daily driver is small just wait untill you spend some time in your A. With my chop it is hard to see traffic lights but a light prisem will fix that.

26. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

once I pulled the body off I looked for the numbers on the frame in that spot but nothing is there

27. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

I didn't see the numbers on my 32 woodie frame until I went over it with a wire wheel.

jurowe302000 likes this.
  28. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

did that as well and nothing but ill keep look out

29. mike bowling

mike bowling

"moparob"- that green sedan is killer" ( slant window with a serious chop?) There's some inspiration for ya, "mech-man"! And don't sweat the numbers too much- once the body is on, you'll never see them anyway. Buy a body number tag from an "A" parts place, stamp your own ID tag , and put it either on the top of the frame rail, or on the firewall. I do it all the time and have never had a problem

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015