Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 30 model A coupe vs 30 3 window chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evolution, May 29, 2015.

1. Evolution

Evolution
    from c

im in bit of a dilema looking at buying either a 30 model A thats had some work done, or 30/31 3 window chevy coupe, for a build, ive seen many model A hotrods but hardly any chevy 3 window coupes, whys that? which one would you go for and why? and how much should i offer for the chevy? it has no runnung gear, just frame and body, thanks

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Because the Chevy's are full of wood.. Even if the wood is good the doors sound like a kitchen door when closed.. Very hard to get the body square and the doors usually sag.. Also the retail valve sucks, even if a nice hot rod.. Now the models A's on the other hand are, well, you got an hour to listen to my praises....

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The body & doors are all wood framed on a Chevy, need to check the condition.

4. Show pics for better answers.Lot of wood in the chevy,but at the right price I'd do it.

5. raidmagic

raidmagic

Chevy. Everyone has a model A

jadegrenade 51 and Torkwrench like this.
  6. F&J

F&J

When they say "lots of wood" they are not kidding. Those body panels are nailed onto the wood skeleton. Even the top, where it sits on the rear quarters and rear deck panel, will separate and fall off..

Nice cars if you can put steel in place of wood.

DSCN3166.JPG DSCN3167.JPG DSCN3168.JPG DSCN3170.JPG

Evolution likes this.
  7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Wow!! ^^^ great pics of all the bad wood...

8. If your going to build the Chevy you first need to be a top notch Cabinet Builder with a well outfitted Wood shop. I have a 33 2d sedan I removed all the wood from and did a steel inner structure. I'll NEVER!!! do that again!! Buy the Ford.
    The Wizzard

9. i had a 36 chevrolet and didn't realize it came with a cord of firewood!:eek: find a mopar!

lockwoodkustoms likes this.
  10. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Just build the best of both worlds !

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433052107.747016.jpg