Register now to get rid of these ads!

30 Ford V8 flathead, What Radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twistedridez, Aug 8, 2012.

1. twistedridez

twistedridez

So I'm putting a 49 ford flathead in my 30 pickup, what radiator should I use?
    What will fit in the grill shell? What give the best cooling?

2. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Save yourself some grief and put a Walker in right away..Something cheaper will fit but won't cool as good.

3. twistedridez

twistedridez

What do you look up or ask for?

4. Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

I'm running a walker in my 30 roadster with 59A Flathead, if its not chanelled then a 1932 style Radiator fits just right. the earlier (28-29) model A's have a shorter cowl & need a shorter radiator for everything to line up.

5. twistedridez

twistedridez

Ah The 32 fits. Thanks! This is my first Model A build and I am dangerous! I've built 60's cars, trucks custom bikes but I got to say this model A thing is a totally different animal!
    I'm driving myself nutz along with a local guy who builds some wild machines!

6. twistedridez

twistedridez

By The way Homemadehardtop57, I've seen your car at a couple shows,the aluminum top you built is amazing! Every time I see it I stand there in awe at the rivet work!

7. 4t7flat

4t7flat

If it won't cool with a walker,it just won't cool. I have two Walker radiators,and one,Be-cool aluminum. The aluminum one is junk(I did not buy it),you get what you pay for.

8. The '32 radiator will not fit in the Model A radiator shell.

Charlie Stephens

9. Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  10. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Don't be too sure a '32 radiator, ordered as just that, will just bolt in. There are a number of variables. You may want to do some measuring and strait-edging to make sure your grill shell is at the correct height. You don't want it too high. Take your time.

11. i was under the empression that the 32 radiator would fit the 30 31 shell but not the 28 29.

12. The top tank of a '32 radiator comes out at a slight angle and extends about 1 inch beyond the fins in the front. The attachment for the hood hinge is different. The fill neck is also in slightly the wrong location. I believe the overall height, width and thickness (except for the top tank) is correct when comparing the '32 with a '30-'31.

Charlie Stephens

13. banginona40

banginona40

Get the grille shell to line up with the cowl the way you want it first. Then make a mock up of the radiator out of plywood or card board and compare the measurements with available sizes. If nothing quite matches you can then send the mock up to a radiator shop and have them build to that size. I have used U.S. radiator twice and both times worked great. You may also be able to modify a Mustang radiator or similar.