Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Like the steering wheel never saw one like that without holes

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Around here that's two strikes against you...most of these guys hate hp more than they hate automatics...

INVISIBLEKID and loudbang like this.
  3. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

It's a good thing I'm not building this car for any of these guys then eh?!

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you REALLY wanna be a rebel, channel it! :D Like the cyCle fenders by the way...

5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I picked those up at the swap meet in Abbotsford in the spring. Now with this fender law change guess I don't have to have them. Still might do something with fenders where I can pop them on and off really easy to be able to change things up. On the horsepower side I grew up in and around drag racing so horsepower is in the blood. If I put a low horse flat cam motor in my car I would contract diseases and slowly die a painful death! Ha ha I still want the sixties look for the engine. Been thinking about a dual quad small block like from a corvette. Seeing as I have the old corvette valve covers anyways. That way I can hit my horsepower mark and still look vintage. Much still to decide on

Stogy, falcongeorge and loudbang like this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bobbed stockers on the back, cycle fenders on the front. Love that look.

bengeltiger likes this.
  7. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks, it is a Grant wheel. i was going to use a 40 Ford wheel but it was too large a diameter and would put your hand right by the shifter with the height it has so had to go with something smaller. wanted a wheel that was very plain that would have been used in the 60's. easily changed down the road if i find something i like better. I have a bad habit of getting bored with stuff and like to change things up so let's just say this little coupe will likely never be "done"! ha ha

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I like it too. I have all the fenders to be able to do that so I will likely get the car on the road then do that so I can pop them on and off easy

Stogy, loudbang and falcongeorge like this.
  9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Finished the bulkhead today so it's screwed to the fuel tank frame. Fabbed up this mount for the electrical panel. Will be able to run all the wires nice and neat along and down the sides. I know most guys dread the wiring but I'm looking forward to being able to do every wire perfect from the start. The coach controls panel is super sweet with nice terminals and built in relays for the bigger circuits. Ding the body mounts next weekend as Dads back was bugging him this week. Old fart! Ha ha if anyone has good tips for working with the wood body mounts let me know. Done some reading online but this will be my first time doing it.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470625071.864025.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470625094.675623.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470625111.333655.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470625143.566689.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470625162.546758.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470625197.217390.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  10. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Here's a better pic of the coach works panel mounted. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470631535.589877.jpg

bengeltiger and loudbang like this.
  11. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

x2 on this! You're making good progress, thanks for posting!

12. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks B, progress is never as fast as we want it but when it's a hobby and not the profession, i guess you have to take it in perspective!

Stogy, loudbang and Finn Jensen like this.
  13. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

I've been following your build since the beginning. I'm in the process of changing my garage situation. Itching to start on my A and watching you helps scratch that itch (a little). Thanks for sharing your progress.

14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Cool thanks for following along! Has been very rewarding doing the build. I take a lot of pride in doing as much as I can on the car instead of farming it out. Anyone can pay someone else to build there car which is all well and fine but I want the car to be a piece of me! Sometimes literally when I cut myself on a sharp edge! Ha ha got the deck lid fitted this evening and a few other things tidied up in the trunk. Still have to mount the trunk handle and latch. Going to fab up the seat belt mounts sometime this week next and then tackle the body mounts this weekend.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Your car is looking great! I also like being able to say I did everything on my car. I know my limitations and get help on certain things. It is fun to say I fabricated the entire car, painted it and upholstered it. My car will not be perfect but I take pride in knowing it was all me.

16. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes we all have limitations. I like to try and work on mine to eliminate them slowly one by one!

Binger and loudbang like this.
  17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Trunk hinges and support installed. Had to elongate the opening In the support arm as it wanted to bind and not let the deck lid drop all the way down. Easy fix. Will have to cut the inner skin to fit the latch assembly still. If anyone has mounted the latch from scratch like this before and has any handy tips, let me know. Think it will be simple enough as long as I take my time. The new handle I got when I ordered a bunch of stuff from Howell (don't order from them, lots of issues) didn't come with the nut or rubber grommet so will have to find my own. Tackling the body mounts on Saturday! Here's hoping it all goes smoothly!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  18. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Work and family has been taking all the time lately. Spent some time yesterday and most of today in the shop. I redid the wood for the back of the seat as I wanted it to go up higher than I originally cut. Also finished the locking mechanism for the seat as well. Happy with how it turned out. Got everything cleaned up in the interior and did a little final cleanup of the tranny hump as well. Then dove in on the headlight bar and got it cut and mounted up the way I wanted. Happy with how it turned out. These are 35 Ford buckets that came with the car. Really like how they look and think they fit the car with the way I did the bar well. Ready to pull the body and start running brake lines and other "under car" stuff. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Built the rear panhard bar this weekend. Thought the kits were overpriced so thought I would make my own. Still need to lathe the spacers for the top bolt but otherwise happy with how it turned out. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Stogy, daddio211, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  20. daddio211

daddio211

Love your work!

21. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks for the nice words, there are a lot of guys on here that put my work to shame but I'm a work in progress! My Dad is a big help too so nothing but thanks to him!

daddio211 likes this.
  22. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Looks good to me.

Fitnessguy likes this.
  23. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Got all the brake lines complete. few little things to finish off but otherwise done. Need to go through the drums and make sure everything is happy with them but otherwise can move on to the next task. After using stainless lines on my Camaro i can say using these nicopp lines was a dream! Very forgiving and i like the look just as much as stainless.

IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1529.JPG IMG_1531.JPG

Stogy and Dino64 like this.
  24. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Not a lot of new work done with having no days off in December except Christmas day. The joys of owning your own business! back on it now. Got the dash insert in from Alchemy, super nice piece if anyone if looking for a quality insert get a hold of Jeff. Great quality for the dollar. Still have to mount the gauges but was playing with the layout. think this is the direction i am going to go. Ordered up my headers from Matt at Geardrive last week. Super stoked to get them in. I am going to build an exhaust system as well so have him ship the headers to me unfinished so i can build my own dumps for them. Matt sent me a pic of the headers done today! Another great guy to deal with. As a small business owner myself, i can say it is so much better dealing with a small guy instead of the big companies when it comes to parts like we are ordering. Matt and I talked through what i was planning to do and he had lots of good input. You're just not going to get "service" like that from the big companies. Support small and local whenever you can!
    IMG_1711.JPG IMG_1713.JPG IMG_4693.JPG

chop job, brEad, 54reno and 3 others like this.
  25. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Glad to see you're making progress on the coupe. Lookin good!!
    How are going to do the exhaust dump ? Going to get my headers from Matt when I'm ready. Thanks and keep going

loudbang likes this.
  26. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I am going to come off the inside of the header at about a 45 to the ground and bring the exhaust tucked in front of the firewall and then back. I am taking this from another member on here. He was nice enough to email me a bunch of pics. I can pm you some of them if you want to see.

loudbang and Dino 64 like this.
  27. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

28. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

29. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Dino 64 likes this.
  30. Dino 64

Dino 64