Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Fine set of cup holders, nicely made but IMHO, they look kinda out of place. I’d like to have a cup holder as well, but I haven’t figured out something that doesn’t looks too “modern”
    I’m in the dog house again !

wackdaddy and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love my Java too...they are sorta new...ish just as my 12 volt plugin hidden under the glove box...which powers the GPS speedometer I rely on which I can tuck away to keep the interior relatively vintage at places of gathering of eyeballs on the Hotrod.

I don't have a void under my seat like that and I don't even have anything to use at this point in time other than a void between the seat side and the inner lower fwd quarter panel.

If it were mine I would make it hide and slide or swivel out as needed...and perhaps they are you have not said so...

Not knocking craftsmanship at all...good job...

I actually chuckle a bit when I open the passenger door on the Ole Hotrod and see coffee splats on the seat from the cup where I wedge it...

Funny thing is this is really not a new thing these cupholders...I posted a few vintage patents in the always popular cup holder thread...:p

Hey Dino is there room for 2...:p

Arrroooo...ruff ruff....:D

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Sure, at least I’m not alone.
    I agree with you, be ok if they slid out of sight of jerks like me !

Stogy likes this.
  4. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

BOTH of you are suspended until further notice! Ha ha I would have like to have them tuck away too but I have the seat mounted low so there is no room so it was really the only option. I’m not in love with them either but gots to have a coffee!! Carbs and coffee dude! Ha ha I liked them more when they were bare steel

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Certain Chrysler/Dodge mini vans with the short middle seat have cup holders that slide back under the seat in one of there interior options. I am using one in my A project. FWIW.

brEad likes this.
  6. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes mine had that but it requires the seat to be mounted up high. Don’t work in my coupe

loudbang likes this.
  7. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Hey guys....don't knock those cup holders! They are a true piece of design, ingenuity and fashion!!!!. Fitness can have cup holders in his car, we just won't call it a Hot Rod any more....now it's a Street Rod :eek::D Personally, I would have just held the cup or gone without.....Anyway, keep on it!

Stogy likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Did dreamer just call my coupe a street rod???!!! This coming from the guy that A. Doesn’t drive his sedan B. Hasn’t touched his “new build” in MONTHS and C. Is always “getting groceries, doing laundry, walking the dog...” and all the other things he whines to me about!! Street rod, wow a guy could get shot for such blasphemy round these parts!

10. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

A guy could get shot for cup holders......just sayin’

lothiandon1940 and brEad like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...:eek:...The Cupholder thread really wasn't that popular...me thinkuths its spilling over here a wee tadd.

12. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

SOOOO I just had a little private convo with dreamer about the pressure famous hot rod builders such as myself are under. I explained to him that us famous hot rod builders get asked by the ladies for rides ALL the time. So i need a cup holder to hold my coffee so i can have a free arm to put around the lucky girl gettin a ride in the coupe! Like i said to dreamer my wife doesn't need to know bout this. Don't hate the player dreamer, hate the game! one day you'll get that roadster done... :p

loudbang and brEad like this.
  13. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

You need to change the thread title to “30 ford street rod build”. Anyway, off to walk the bloody dog....

14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

See that's all the guy does, works on his "honey-do" list and never touches his car! it's total jealousy i'm telling you!

Blue One, Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  15. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

You’re unsuccessfully trying to draw attention away from your blasphemous cup holders in your Street Rod. :cool:

16. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Another member in the dog house. There’s more of us than you !

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

All a bunch of haters... I’m gonna go have a beer after today’s exploits. Gotta paint the front of the rad so the fan doesn’t show so much. Would have been great to run a mechanical fan but just didn’t have the room with the 409.
    IMG_5841.JPG IMG_5842.JPG IMG_5849.JPG IMG_5853.JPG

tb33anda3rd, GASSERBOB, brEad and 6 others like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fitness get that sexy ass pic in the rear end thread...;)
    Trunk panels Check...​

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    brEad, 31chevymike, Dino 64 and 2 others like this.
  19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Just for fun I threw everything else on just to see. Looks like a HOT ROD to me...
    IMG_5860.JPG IMG_5862.JPG IMG_5859.JPG

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doghouse.jpg

:rolleyes: Thumbs up from the Sideline...:D

21. Hey Dreamer, if it was a real street rod, he'd use colour matched wheel skates.
    Kidding aside, you both have great projects/rides.

22. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I kept the cupholder on the Caravan seat I used in the '31. Actually helped as it is about 3" high and put a comfortable recline on the seat.

Fitnessguy and loudbang like this.
  23. ?????As it is setting today what is the travel distance between the top of the axle housing and the top of the notch. The reason I ask is mine is 4 inches and appears to high. With a 39.24 tall tire I have around 2 inches of wheel well exposed above the tire:eek:

loudbang likes this.
  24. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

2 inches. Top of my tire is about an inch or less to the top of the wheel well

loudbang likes this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You could always do what I did, and have your rad powder coated using a thermal heat dispersant powder coat for better appearance and cooling.
    I had mine done at a shop here in Edmonton, I'll also post the info on the product they used.
    Larry.
    6CDA6E85-3F0C-4F0A-8099-6C9247245C63.jpeg E83AB85B-6E77-45A9-A709-F8514A28F8C7.jpeg E352B413-3390-4AC0-BBD1-D846754B06C2.jpeg

It's a coating called Thermal Dispersant and it's made by a company called Tech Line.

https://techlinecoatings.com/tech-line-coatings/industrial-coatings/thermalmanagement/

26. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

thanks man. i did paint the rad except just not the front. i went to one of the local rad shops and chatted with them about it and they gave me the paint they use. Didnt think the fan would stick out as much as it does. No biggy, easy fix. That's cool stuff though. what did they charge you to do that? They say it helps with cooling?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes apparently the powder coating shop owner uses it on his race cars and has plenty of customers who have had great results with it.

Read the company specs, it nice stuff.
    I paid $180 for the coating job.
    It’s pretty nice as it is a powder coating.

https://techlinecoatings.com/

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  28. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

She's definitely turning out to be a beautiful ride!

loudbang likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Fitness the Missus wants the old car back...:p...I just showed her the pics and her jaw dropped...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    brEad and loudbang like this.