Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Looks great, if you get a chance could you post a pic of the top of the exhaust where it meets the header ? Trying to work it out on mine, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Um that’s classified... ha ha here you go. Taken as I was building the exhaust.
    IMG_1905.JPG

3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks, it looks like it’s welded to the header ? So it gets chromed too ? Great build thanks for the ride.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

No the flex joint is welded to the under exhaust. Down tube from the header slips into the other end of the flex joint.
    IMG_5278.JPG

Dino 64, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

i love it when a plan comes together!

Fitnessguy and loudbang like this.
  7. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

loudbang and Dino 64 like this.
  8. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Decklid on today. Have to lean in the tail panel to make the latch happy but super cool to see the decklid on. Threw the package tray in as well and did a bunch of little interior stuff. Played with the glass a little to get a feel for how it fits. Not quite sure how I’m gonna install it as there are a few different ways. Just keep tickin stuff off the list.

IMG_5412.JPG IMG_5413.JPG IMG_5414.JPG IMG_5415.JPG IMG_5416.JPG IMG_5418.JPG

31chevymike, brEad, Dino 64 and 5 others like this.
  9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Man I have been picking up the last of the parts i need for the coupe. Funny how it all adds up rather quickly. The one item i'm having a hard time with is the alternator. I really want one of the powermaster powergens obviously for the look but damn, $500 plus after tax Canadian is a tough pill to swallow just for look when i can get a friggin GM stock unit for like $70!!! Why do we do this to ourselves?! Perhaps one of you fine fellows should purchase me one kinda like a house warming gift! :D We can call it a coupe warming gift! pleeeeeeeeeeease :p

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am running a vintage 12 volt generator and have really had no issues whatsoever. Your not running everything and the kitchen sink so is that an option?

Who knows maybe they run 500 bucks rebuilt and painted. If thats the case. Its expensive no matter...Just thinking out loud.

loudbang likes this.
  11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Check out Rotten Leonard's website, he has stealth alternators for $249. Plus he's in Washington, so maybe you can do a relay.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  12. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I forgot that they had them that's right! Thanks for reminding me. I'll take a look again.

loudbang likes this.
  14. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Plus he's an Alliance Vendor, shows they give 10% off to Alliance members
    . I've never purchased from him so far, but did talk to him briefly at the Portland swap meet.

15. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Got the headers back from chrome today. These were flash dipped like geardrive does them. Looking forward to them turning a nice blue tone once the 409 rumbles through em! On another note I emailed rotten leonard about their stealth alternator asking him for a shipping quote and confirming the alliance member discount. He replied with an eBay listing number and didn’t respond to the alliance discount question. Just don’t know about people and customer service. When a client calls or emails my business we answer any and all questions directly period. So I will pay more for a powergen because I can buy it local and deal with people who care. There’s my rant for the night! like this “peek” view through the rear window.
    IMG_5435.JPG
    IMG_5431.JPG

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fitness its a shame you have to lock that but I have read some stories your way about tanks being drained...and your other concern...it just sucks a little. I always do random checks no matter where I've parked...so far so good. Gas is inching up here too...Things look great hopefully Len comes around...those units looked pretty cool.

All is looking pretty spiffy...

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  17. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Ahhhhhh....chrome

18. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes it is a shame you have to lock stuff up. My biggest concern is someone dumping something into the tank. 409’s don’t grow on trees right. When rotten replied to my email with the eBay listing I replied and said thanks and specifically asked about the alliance discount again. As of this morning still no reply. It works me up for sure because we try super hard in our biz because I care so I ensure my staff care. It’s such a simple thing. Give a shit enough to treat people’s stuff like it’s yours. Lost or fading art I guess.

wackdaddy, brEad, 31chevymike and 2 others like this.
  19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I finished all the assembly on the manifold. Heater hose fittings, water temp fitting etc. Carbs all snug and vacuum hoses attached. Fill tube tapped in. New Pertronix dizzy and original look wires arrived so threw the dizzy in to mock up and build the plug wires. New converter arrived as well. Just waiting on a couple other little parts and then I’m done gathering. New drive shaft being built this week. Still accepting gifts of cash and all donations... ha ha
    IMG_5523.JPG IMG_5526.JPG IMG_5525.JPG IMG_5519.JPG

20. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Yup, looks like we shanked it hard on that one.... here is our explanation on the main board. I will PM you for a resolution. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-to-hell-hells-gate-hot-rods-that-is.1108603/

loudbang and brEad like this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:)
    I can feel what your saying about service (re; box stores) but based on Rotten Leonard's rep I would have thought twice and gave him a chance before going in attack mode. I am sure not everything goes smoothly in yours or any business. Just the way Murphy's law and the world is

K13, Stogy and Dino 64 like this.
  22. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I agree, but fitness is excited about getting it on the road so I feel his pain too. Rotten came through in the end, all good.

23. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Got some glass put in tonight. Not the most fun part of the build by any means but gotta be done. Not looking forward to the door glass. Might call in some reinforcements for that fun! Ha ha windshield’s going in tomorrow night!
    IMG_5532.JPG IMG_5533.JPG IMG_5534.JPG IMG_5536.JPG IMG_5538.JPG

24. Just so impressed with your build! Curious about where your gas vent is installed and are you running a return gas line to siphon off gas?

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  25. Beautiful all around. :cool:

26. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks man. Gas line is vented outside in a hole in the floor pan. Tank comes with a one way vent valve that is plumbed to the vent outlet on the tank. The tank has a provision for a return line but I did not run one for now. I do have a fuel regulator in the system so can be added at anytime if I think it’s necessary.

31chevymike, brEad and loudbang like this.
  27. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

31chevymike and brEad like this.