Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Did some slicing this weekend and got the trunk cutout for the gas cap mount. Fabbed up a little extension on the gas cap arm so I can have it locked. Unfortunately can’t trust some clown being tempted to dump something down the tank. Still need to box in the inner trunk panel where I cut but want to test fit on the car first. Moving forward ticking stuff off the list
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Got the trunk sitting more square for sure. hinge brackets are just loose here so still some room to play and get her close. gives a good idea of the opening size for the gas cap mount as well.
    IMG_4742.JPG

3. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Pulled the old intake off the 409 today and dropped the deuces on to see how she looks. Motor is nice and clean. All the lobes on the cam look good as well. I am pretty sure I am going to run them to begin with. They need to be rebuilt but that’s easy enough. Just can’t beat the look of three carbs!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Sure wish I had some weiand valve covers to go on this mill... would really top off the build... ha ha

5. 31chevymike

31chevymike

What about these AWESOME MOONEYES No-Name valve covers... $340 for the pair? Moon 348 409 VC.jpg

6. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I like the mooneyes but I actually prefer the Offenhauser. Considering I can’t get the weiand ones I REALLY want and max is hoarding I guess I will have to choose another brand.

7. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

We got the gas cap panel welded in today and modified the fill tube on the tank so everything lines up. We moved the gas tank ahead about an inch to help it line up better. just some bodywork left on the decklid and firewall and a few other little items and we will be ready for primer. she's coming... :D
    IMG_4807.JPG IMG_4808.JPG IMG_4809.JPG IMG_4810.JPG

8. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Wow Fitness! Nice job on the fab work! Forgot that the gas tank filler is part of the panel in front of your trunklid, so it stays put while the lid opens and closes on it. Also did not figure that the filler tube would be so short, not realizing how tall your fuel tank is. Sweet set up for sure, being unique than most hot rods.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

thanks man, ya super happy with the look and how it turned out. Can't take credit for the idea, that one goes to Mr. Bass but we did our best to put our spin on it. Still needs to be all cleaned up but that's my buddies job! ha ha. can't wait to see some colour squirted on this ol girl! Then the big push to get her final assembled will be on! I have to get her done because now @Deucedreamer wants me to finish his roadster for him! Don't you DD? ha ha

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fonz_approved.jpg

Approved...;)

Thumbs up...fuel direct in no interference...

11. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

12. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

We need a “dislike” button on the H.A.M.B.!!! :cool::cool:

loudbang likes this.
  13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Well we know you’re not talking bout the build so you must be talking about the fact I’m not done yet because you’re impatiently waiting for me to weave my magic on your car! patience young DD I will make sweet music with your roadster soon enough!

loudbang likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Giddy Up Giddy Up Giddy Up...........409
    ...Nothing can catch her nothing can....stop you
    have a good night Fitness
    ;)

Max Gearhead, loudbang and Fitnessguy like this.
  15. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

well as i'm working down in sunny San Diego this week my guy keeps sending me update pics of the work being done. got some parts primed in the last couple days. moving along! can't wait to get home and see the progress in person.
    54327308311__94CBC167-493F-4BA7-AF71-28104E423B3C.JPEG IMG_7686.JPEG

16. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

A few parts primered and blocked. I am taking the table I built for the body down next week so we will pull the body off the frame and primer it next week. Lots of work left to do but I’m excited for the next few weeks to get this part done then get her back to my shop and start ALL the rest! Ha ha happy thoughts happy thoughts

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. 31chevymike

31chevymike

18. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Nice to be back in the shop on my Sunday shop day. I did some modifying on my engine stand. Didn’t like the single forward leg so I added the side stabilizer legs. I had to lengthen the mounting arms that bolt to the motor as they are too short. Poorly designed china tools! Once that was all done I pulled the tranny off the motor and got the engine hung. Thought I would throw my dual quad aluminum manifold on there and dream of the rebuild with the new eddy heads. Gotta save my pennies for that job. Made myself a little makeshift tranny stand so I could drop the pan. I just got a TCI lockdown kit that requires the internal wiring harness to be replaced with the new one that comes in the kit along with the 4th gear pressure switch. Got that all done and the pan back on. Will start on cleaning up the motor. Gonna pull the oil pan and timing cover as I want to make sure the chain is happy and I have to repair a funky oil drain plug mod that the previous owner did. Want to have all new gaskets on the motor anyways. Body comes off the frame and into the booth for primer tomorrow. Making stuff happen!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

mgtstumpy, brEad, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Epoxy primer today, poly primer tomorrow then blocking. Gonna see some color on this ol tin soon! who needs women when you have hot rods to play with?! ha ha
    IMG_4904.JPG IMG_4906.JPG IMG_4908.JPG

20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I'm only dreaming to get to this point on my build... Soon enough... Your Maroon color will go over this stage?

loudbang likes this.
  21. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Car gets a coat of poly primer today then gets block sanded then another coat of poly then color then clear.

Stogy, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  22. 31chevymike

31chevymike

What is poly primer - don't remember hearing anything about it...

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  23. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

High fill primer for blocking out minor imperfections in panels. Been a long time since I messed with that. If I remember you can also use it a a sealer before spraying the color.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. 38 Chevy

38 Chevy

Here is exactly the same seat with exactly the same fabric put in my deuce back in 2006. Now with distressed
    leather from ebay. DSCN0844.JPG

Flipper, mgtstumpy, Stogy and 2 others like this.