Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

New to the HAMB, other than looking through the classifieds trying to find a 5 window coupe project car. Happy to say i finally found my car in Ontario. After several emails back and forth over the last few weeks i flew out this weekend to see the car in person. Car was everything as described and what i saw in the pictures. the owner was a great guy and we had a good time chatting about the car and looking at his other rod a 29 ford. got the deal done and helped load the car onto the transport carrier's truck i hired. now have to wait for it to make it's way out to meet me in BC. General on the car is majority of bodywork already done. new 32 frame fully boxed and c notched. new 50 ford drum brakes all around, ford nine inch in the back. new wood kit and lots of extra parts and hardware. perfect spot for me to take over the project as i will handle 95% of the remainder of the work myself. never been a body guy and will have to hone my welding skills for the little bit of stuff that is left.
    Plans: going to leave the car un-chopped with no fenders or hood. small block chevy (sorry ford guys i just know the motor too well to be adventurous) and OD tranny to go with the nine inch. haven't decided on induction yet. thinking multi carb of some sort. spartan interior all 50's period correct. vinyl roof with clips to remove for open air driving (gets hot here in the summer) will take my time as i like clean builds with everything having it's place. want a reliable car that i can drive and get out to different events and enjoy. Any suggestions are more than welcome. i have stared at these coupes for years dreaming of what i would do when i get one so have a pretty solid idea but it is my first ROD build so happy to get advice from the old guys who have been there and done that already. Did the majority of the work on my camaro build so capable of tackling the job, just gotta learn all the little ins and outs on the early ford!

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - Congrats

3. 41 C28

41 C28

Looks good have fin with it.

4. scotti32

scotti32

Looks like a great body, great start.

5. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Looks like a great start, Keep us posted and welcome.

6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Great start, going to be a cool build. Congrats!

7. Well looks like you are tires and a drive train away from motoring. :)

Most of my stuff is bare bones, just what is necessary for motoring along. I always build my own simplified wiring harness and usually end up using inline fuses. Not a good idea, buy yourself a fuse panel and wire it properly. If you don't feel like you can build your own harness then get a good harness like a rebel and use that. it will no doubt have more wire then you need but everything thing is labeled and it is next to impossible to screw up.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  8. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looks like a good one to start with...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a damn fine car that would be even finer with a chop. Model A coupes look a bit like a tractor with a stock roof....

Welcome to the HAMB.

-Abone.

daddio211 likes this.
  11. Looks to be a great builder....Best of luck with it....

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats one healthy hotrod project there fitnessguy...good on the mouse motor...no orange and look forward to the race to the finish line...

13. Good luck with the car.....and please!....finish it!

Blower371 likes this.
  14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I will finish the car for sure! My OCD wouldn't let me not! :D Sat down last night and started a general parts list with rough pricing. Obviously there is always the little stuff that adds up but wanted to get an idea of a budget. Only bad thing is starting the build with the dollar the way it is right now as there doesn't seem to be a lot of options for a lot of the parts i want or need buying in Canada. If you or any other Canucks reading this have good suggestions on Canadian parts suppliers that you can recommend i look at, please let me know. I like to take my time and really shop around for parts when trying to keep the budget under control without hurting quality. I do this for my business everyday so guess it's just a habit. Got word the transport company will be here end of next week with the car so will keep myself busy with more planning. 10-4

15. A good start, good luck to you, and welcome to HAMB.

16. Boomchain

Boomchain
    from Canada

Good start to a great build

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fitnessguy you might consider the alliance as there are discounts to be had. There is a cost involved but that may be offset in savings. The discounts and business's involved are all listed in the alliance section. The HAMB also has a classified section with cautionary alerts and even a wanted section.

18. Stogy is right about the Alliance, hit the swap meets, a careful buyer can really do well there.
    I like to use as little new or repop parts as possible, keeping those to perishables such as rubber seals and the like.

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

just an FYI...all Model A coupes have 5 windows, so calling one a 5W is kinda redundant

20. Crickets...waiting for the smart arses to bring up sport coupes:rolleyes:

21. really nice score...your body panels are nice and straight, no rot....32 rails are great.....your very lucky that's an excellent start .

22. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks boys. Yes i already got scolded about calling it a 5 window. Be nice to me, I'm a muscle car guy up to now.....;)
    Yes i will do the alliance member thing as i have surfed through the vendors listing with the discount offers. as an update, I started building a table to sit the body when it comes time to pull off. Scored a solid u channel frame up at my dad's that he had sitting outside for the last few years. i had some square tube steel at my store so pulled that up to his place and cut up for the legs. picked up casters so now just have to assemble. anyone have an idea of what the bar body weighs? Seen 4 guys pick up a body with not a lot of effort so guessing it can't be that bad.

23. daddio211

daddio211

Beat me to it Tony! :cool:

X38 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Color me jealous! That looks like a great start. Much better than I'll be starting with. I like a model A unchopped. Mine will start on an A frame but I hope to eventually get it on a Duece frame, too.

25. Never weighed a bare body but three of us move mine around with little effort.....has to be less than 300 lbs.

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

In your first post I am sure that you have 1940 drums, not 1950

27. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

you could be right, the guy i bough them from said they were 50. i know the old GM stuff much better so wouldn't know the difference. will snap a couple close pics when the car gets here and share.

28. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

300lbs? wow that's not much. i was going to guess 500 plus but you might be right......or really strong! :D

29. Your front brakes are F-1 and rear are Bronco....