Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 AV8 Roadster - Finally have a build start

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indomwe, May 24, 2015.

1. it's been a long time gathering parts but we finally have a good start. Building this with my son, hopefully he will build an enduring love for hot rods like I have all my life. It will be as traditional as we can get it, you guys on the HAMB have been a great help so far with all the info available on here

Attached Files:

bct likes this.
  2. Good stuff! I like the K-member.

3. Cactus1, yup the K member is great, I got it from stumpjumper here in the HAMB, I had planned to use an F-1 crossmember but I am glad I got the K member, it fit perfectly and quality is good.

4. walter

walter

Great Start!!

5. house of fab

house of fab
    from ashland va

Awesome - I'm looking forward to following along!

6. brady1929

brady1929

Great start as said above.

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I like it. How far back did you set your motor mounts from the front cross member?

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Great start to a great hot rod. Keep us updated.

9. Flathead Dave I set the motor mounts back 4-7/8 from the center of the rad mount to the center of the motor mount. I do not want to modify the firewall, this looks like it's gonna be tight but hopefully everything will work out

10. reverse eye T rear spring installed temporarily to get frame rolling and car mocked up. Will be interesting to see how it sits. ( spring shackles are also temporary, I have NOS original for final assembly) I will run 35 wires on the car, I am interested in suggestions from all of you for front and rear tires

Attached Files:

11. Ok guys, need some advice, I am trying to figure out wheels and tires combination. Right now I have a set of 35 wires (16 inch), not sure what tire combo to use.

I am running undroppped 32 heavy on front with reverse eye spring and banjo on rear with T spring ( 3 leaves removed) just mocking up the 35 wheels with 6.00/16 firestones front looks way to high.
    I do not want to drop the front axle, just wondering if there are other wire wheel and/or tire combos that might help

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

5.50s and 7.00 or 7.50s is the magic number..

indomwe likes this.
  13. Need some more advice, what pitman arm to use? I have mocked up my F1 box into the frame in the original model A location. Now I need to figure out the best pitman arm to use and also drag link. I assume making a drag link out of an old tie rod is best way. I am running 32 spindles with original steering arm. Someone suggested to use a pitman arm that is 4-1/2 inches long but I don't know what that would be

Attached Files:

14. Some update photos, I managed to squeeze in the Fenton headers,tight fit but it looks like they are gonna work with some minor grinding mods image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

bct likes this.
  15. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

Looks great! Is your F1 box in the stock location? Any mods to get your headers to fit in there?

16. Autodave, the F1 box is in the stock location. I did not believe I was going to be able to use the Fenton Headers and was surprised to see how well they fit in. I have a couple of touch points on the steering box that I can fix with some minor grinding. It will be tight but should work ok. On the other side I have to do a minor relieve of the frame to clear the exhaust flange. Still trying to figure out what pitman arm to use
    and draglink

17. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

I like the Fenton headers, I was always afraid they wouldn't fit. Have you tried contacting NealinCA ([email protected]) about your pitman arm? He is a wealth of information especially on steering.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Thanks I will send a note to him

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Beware of steering box/header close relationships...header will boil the lubricant right out the sector shaft seal. May be too close for an aluminum deflector, too.
    Heated steering gear box from header was what put the Miller/Ford roadsters out of the Indy 500 in 1935... their bronze gears expanded 'til the worm wouldn't turn.
    ('When the Worm Turned' was a different story, not related to this)

indomwe likes this.
  20. Progress

Attached Files:

21. Progress is real now, getting excited and thanks to Spinners CC guys for all the help and advice and to Tom Flopcustom master metal surgeon for making the body look so good

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    cadillacoffin likes this.
  22. Yup big concern for sure but not sure what I can do, F1 box sits awful close to those Fenton headers

23. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

This build is looking great!! Go man Go!! Subscribed!

indomwe likes this.
  24. sloppy jalopies, cactus1 and lodaddyo like this.
  25. 30 AV8, bct and lodaddyo like this.
  26. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Good looking build! Are you still running the reversed eye t spring in the rear?

27. Yep still running the reverse eye to T spring. Seems to work good and dropped my rear couple inches

28. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Looks great. I like the way it sits. Im running a 7 leaf roadster model a rear spring in mine. I was thinking of moving a couple leaves to the bottom to get it down some more. Is that reversed eye spring aftermarket?