Register now to get rid of these ads!

30-31 vicky door jambs- help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Well I've got back on the build.

Could use some help with the door jambs.

I have some from a 4 door sedan, not sure how to modify them for the vicky

Could make my own buy not sure what they are supposed to look like.

Or maybe a combination of the two.

Might be a good idea to have the latches in my hands before that starts.

Any help, pix, or links to originals, modified, or custom built would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. I did exactly what you've described – I used the b-pillar cover from a four door sedan because it wraps around both sides of the wood and each side is a mirror image of the other. I split it in two down the middle and started modifying. At a glance they look very similar to the Vicky door jamb sheet metal, but if I recall correctly, each side required 14 different mods to fit the Vicky door jamb wood properly. I had the added benefit of having a borrowed Vicky door jamb to take measurements from and use for fitting.

I took a ton of pictures of the whole process, but it's been so long that I doubt I could piece together step by step instructions.

3. Terry O

Terry O

There's some shots of the Jambs in the build thread below my sig. if it'll help you.
    We removed the wood and replaced it with steel but the jambs still have the stock dimensions.
    Terry

4. Here's everything I've got. Many of the indentations and contours had to be cut out and moved slightly on the fordor b-pillar sheet metal. There's a body line on the fordor piece that needs to be removed completely, the shape and position of the striker plate recess and the openings for the rubber needed to be moved, the width at the top and bottom needed to be narrowed and of course the height had to be chopped.

I actually asked Terry O if he'd sell me his originals to avoid all this work.

The first picture shows the original Vicky door jamb sheet metal (gray) and the fordor sheet metal (green)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  5. Wow, thanks Dave.

Thanks for the link terry-o

Now these 4 Dr ones I have look a bit different than yours Dave, and they fit the vicky door perfectly. This could/should be easier than I thought.

Looks like the body was nailed on to the wood, then the jamb covers that nail flange and also attaches to the wood. Is that correct?

Mine has about 20 tiny holes in that flange.

6. Yep, the body skin is nailed to the b-pillar/door jamb wood and then the door jamb sheet metal gets nailed on. Good luck.

7. Good luck

Thanks,
    How am I doing so far.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working on chopping that piece, removing that body line detail that interferes with the b pillar flange.

.thanks again Dave !
    Feels good to be getting back on this.

8. I think your fordor piece is like mine. The 1 inch or so bead that's in the picture above will have to be removed or flattened out. On a fordor, that bead is part of the exterior body and sits flush with the exterior of the doors. That's also why you'll also have to make the width narrower on the fordor piece.

The piece you're creating to use on your Vicky will not show at all when the door is closed, so it's dimensions need to be slightly smaller in all directions.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the hole/box for the dovetail also needs to be moved.

9. This pic illustrates what I'm talking about with the bead. The way you've positioned the fordor piece for this picture is not how it goes on a Vicky.

The door jamb cover on a Vicky is hidden behind the edge of the door when it's closed, not flush/level with the door.

The way you've positioned it is, however, the way it's installed on a fordor.

I can take a picture of mine if that would help illustrate better.

10. And then there were two.

.that pic is kind of deceiving, 1/2 of the 4 dr part is behind the door.
    I think I got it here. But the dove tail piece ? ? ? Lines up perfect with the holes in the door. I don't have that part but I'm going to order it today along with some bear claw latches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Door close flush with body, jamb cover is behind the door.

[​IMG]