Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 30-31 model A roadster , how to remove dash rail

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by willys_truck, Feb 6, 2017.

1. willys_truck

willys_truck

I am needing to remove the dash rail from my 31 model a roadster cowl, so I can remove the fuel tank. I have removed the end screws but the rail will not come off, can anyone give me some tips on removing the rail. I don't want to damage it. Thanks

2. Without running out to the garage to check I believe there is five screws across the face of the rail that need to be removed. Also look on the underside of the rail there are some bolts under the rail. I also believe the stanchion mounts need to be removed.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

If your tank is out then these bolts may be out...
    [7/16" head ?] bolts that run up through the cowl's crossrail and into the dashrail... the nuts for them are square and caged in little sheetmetal boxes...
    put the weasle pith to them and heat them, let cool... try 'em... twisted cage nuts are just drill or torch fodder...
    look close i think [2] of the bolts go through larger crossrail holes and need not be removed, they stayed in the gastank so henry could keep them lined up [fender welting] to save assembly time...

mike bowling likes this.