Register now to get rid of these ads!

30-31 Model A help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAKERSFIELD, Mar 12, 2007.

1. BAKERSFIELD

BAKERSFIELD

I just got a Model A 5 Window and have never worked or owned one, I an happy! I have had Cadillac's forever. I don't want to channel the car but I want a good traditional look and feel. Non of my friends have these so I don't even know where to start, chassis, front ends, rear ends, tricks to save me time, where to buy a chassis? Any help would be great! If I go with a flathead what years are good? I know they can run hot. I want a driver so maybe a 350 or cad 390? Do I have to modify the body to fit a 350 or flathead? Thanks guys!
    Geoff

Not sure if any of you saw this on ebay but I liked it!

Attached Files:

2. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

It all about what era fits your taste..research what you like and study everthing about that era...most of the time projects get started and
    as the time goes on your taste changes...The HAMB is a good strat for info
    buy Magazines Like Rodders Journal, hop up, traditional Rod and Culture ETC..

Stay away from the RAT ROD thing and you should be good..Figure out
    what you like then you can find the parts that fit...

Good Luck
    evel

3. bills model a

bills model a
    BANNED

It all depends
    1) what do you have a body and chassis?
    2) is the chassis in good shape (rebuildable)
    3)what year traditional look are you going for ?
    How about some pics.
    speedway motors has some nice parts .
    I think a cad motor in a model a looks great .

Bill

4. Chopperman

Chopperman

There are some siack builds to look at on this site. I would start there, decide what look you want and go from there. IMO, stock frames are crap and I would buy / build something no matter what you decide.

5. BAKERSFIELD

BAKERSFIELD

Thanks guys. Check out the picture.

6. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

I just got done channel boxing an "a" frame with a t frame i had laying around put the t frame section inside the the a frame worked pretty slick and doesnt appear at first glance to be altered but it is.Had to find somthing constructive to do with the old t frames.

7. I would say start with the car then try to find a good year for a cut of date. My plan is to use nothing newer than the motor. I have a 53 motor and trans so nothing, other than whats needed to be safe, will be newer than that. It all depends on what you like.

8. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Is the car in the picture, the car you want to "build"? I hope not cuz it looks perfect as is. There are all kinds of things you can do but please leave the fenders on, if that is the car. There are too many high boys and fenderless rat rods running around now. The fenders are a work of art in themselves. If you do decide to strip the fenders, please PM me cuz I'm interested. You may want to check with the insurance companies about the fenders. When I asked my agent about coverage the first thing he asked was "does it have fenders"? Anyway, good luck with it, now your a member of the elite A owners group, feels good don't it?:D

9. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

That car looks really nice. I don't think I would be changing much. Have any other pics? Specs? motor,trans etc...EVILT

10. BAKERSFIELD

BAKERSFIELD

Yes sir feels great! The car in the photo is one I liked not mine.