Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 30/ 31 Model A differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jez-h-r, Apr 13, 2009.

1. whitetm

whitetm

I just purchase my first model A. I just had a vin check prior to registering it. I noticed the frame number starts with 393XXXX ( the engine has a different number sense the engine was changed in 1998), which I believe was Sept of 1930. It also has the 2 piece splash aprons (1930). But it has the 1931 radiator shield and the round speedometer which tells me a late 30 or 31 speedo. From what previous registration show it to be a '31. So, I question what do I really have?

2. whitetm

whitetm

I have a friend that has a 1931 Vicky and the doors are recessed.

3. Early 1930 have a bead at the front edge of the front fender. Early 1930 had chrome plated open car windshield stanchions, not stainless steel.

4. Wyld Deuce

Wyld Deuce
    from ...

5. My coupe doesn't have running boards, fenders, rad shell (has a 32 shell) so I couldn't go off any of those details, plus those are all parts that could have been mixed & matched as previously mentioned - no indent in the firewall so I knew it wasn't a late 31, I did read that 31's had a reinforcement plate on back side of firewall where the cowl supports bolted on to prevent cracking.. the 30's did not have this plate (apparently), I checked & mine has reinforcement plates at both spots, so I assume it's a 31, doesn't matter much but I just enjoy learning the differences.

6. OK a serial number starting with 393 is indeed Sept 1930. Now, the engines were built in MI and shipped around the country to various assembly plants. There can be a long delay from engine plant to final assembly. When the engine met the frame that number was stamped on the frame. Also Henry used up all parts in stock before moving to the next model year stuff. It is not unusual to see older stuff on a particular car. What I am saying is that it could '30 and '31 stuff together right from the factory. There is also the possibility that in the course of 80 years or so stuff got swapped around. Does this help any?

7. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My early '30 roadster which my dad bought in 1946, has an oval speedo, forged '28-'29 front fender brackets, and the early style curved bumper ends.