Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 speed w/overdrive chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poopeye, Dec 3, 2010.

1. poopeye

poopeye

Question. I scored a 3 speed with overdrive out of a 82-83 Chevy truck that I would like to put behind the 235 in my 54 GMC pickup. What bellhousing do I need for this swap?

2. squirrel

squirrel

If it won't fit the bellhousing you have, then you might be out of luck?

There were two (or 3?) different overdrives used in trucks in the 80s, one fits a mopar bellhousing, one fits a chevy, another fits a ford (this might have only been used in Mexico?). But the bellhousings used in these trucks all fit the Chevy V8 style engine bolt pattern, not the old stovebolt Chevy 6 or GMC 6. The trans that has the Chevy bolt pattern on it should fit your old bellhousing.

post a picture of the front of your new transmission

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

squuirrel is exactly right. I have two of these transmissions - one with the Mopar bolt pattern and the other has the standard SBC bolt pattern. The one with the Mopar bolt pattern came with the original shifter & aluminum bell housing which has a bracket for a hydraulic slave cylinder.

4. carlk60

carlk60

Squirrel is right on the different bellhousing bolt patterns on these trannys. One other thing to keep in mind is that the truck belhousings have a larger hole in them for the front of the transmission. Cars had the smaller hole. If you want to use the truck transmission with a car bellhousing, you will need to machine the hole bigger, and remember that is your alignment for the input shaft. I put this same transmission in my 60 impala. I love it. I used the truck bellhousing (hooked to 348), luckily I did find a transmission with the correct chevy bolt pattern.

Carl.

5. poopeye

poopeye

Squirrel,
    Here's pictures of the transmission. Lighting's not the best.....What's I got here?:) If you need better pics let me know. Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. poopeye

poopeye

Well, the guy at the yard I got it from said it came out of a Chevy truck (2wd). Number on the case is C-15453. New Process. I agree, it's a different bolt pattern to bolt to the bell housing, thats why I wonder what this is, and what bell housing i need. Thanks!

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was an aluminum bell housing with the SBC engine bolt pattern and the Mopar transmission bolt pattern in the truck your transmission came out of - you need it and they're fairly rare. I got the proper bell with the transmission. The guy I bought it from (a friend of mine) told me it came out of an '84 1/2T gas engine Chevy truck.

9. cide1

cide1

10. poopeye

poopeye

Thanks! I'll give them a call and see what they say. :)

11. I have one that I got at least 3rd hand. It came with an aluminum bellhousing, with both bolt patterns, and mechanical throw-out arm. It is an iron case, with the trans mount cast into the rear seal area, and shifter mounts to a box style bracket at rear of tailshaft. The shifter handle is very tall and straight. Think it might have been out of a full size van.
    Anyone have pictures of shifter and arms modified to fit this transmission?

12. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll trade you a bellhousing for that 63-64 'Vette.

13. robleticia

robleticia

I'll give you my tranny AND my 235 for that Vette!:eek:

14. new process a833, got one in my dd. Came from the factory with a hurst shifter ( not stamped on the shifter handle) good luck on the bell housing

15. poopeye

poopeye

Any adaptors out there?