Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 speed trans ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 500 single, Mar 1, 2010.

1. 500 single

500 single

Hello Group. I'm trying to nail down just what I've got here. I was given a 3 speed manual transmission that came out of a '69 or so chevy longhorn pickup, either a 3/4 or 1 ton and equipped with a smallblock; probably a 307. The transmission has an iron case, a 10-spline input shaft, and the case casting number is 3987948. The side cover has 7 bolts,and the casting number on it is 3952646. There is aso a small metal tag on one of the side cover bolts with the number 3968081QY. The tailshaft has no bolt bosses on it for a floor shifter, so I'm guessing that it was a column shifter. From what I've been able to find out by searching this forum, it is likely a saginaw, but I just wasn't sure. I'm planning to install this in my '31 A coupe behind a 327. Any help appreciated. Sorry for lack of pics. I do not have the transmission here at this time. Thanks.
    Greg.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Then you can't compare it to the pictures, can you?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=saginaw+3+speed&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=1

Sounds like it could be a saginaw. What bellhousing do you plan to use? the truck trasnmissions before 1973 had the two bottom mounting holes tapped, cars did not. Also the bearing retainer is a larger diameter than cars on many 67 and newer truck transmissions. These things may or may not be a problem for you.

3. 500 single

500 single

Thanks for the reply Jim. The pics may help. As to the bellhousing, I have a cast iron bell with tapped holes in the side mounts, and provision for the bellhousing mount type starter. The bearing retainer was bigger than the hole in the bellhousing, but I turned it down in a lathe to fit.
    Greg.

4. Herdez

Herdez

There is also the muncie 3 speed with same gear ratios as the th350 and the heavy duty one with lower gears. In 68-69 they were used behind big blocks and heavy duty trucks. I have one in my car. I'll need to see a photo of it.

These are photos from a tranny builder on roundy rounds on the net. The one on bottom is a HD version muncie with the low gear option and top is sagina.
    [​IMG]

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 500 single

500 single

I'll have to compare my side cover with the pictures, but the saginaw looks familiar. Even if it is a Sag, if it came in a full size truck it ought to be allright in an A.
    Greg.

6. 500 single

500 single

Thanks again guys. After getting another look at my transmission, I see that the bolt pattern on the side cover and the shape of the tailshaft housing are identical to the muncie in the above picture. I read conflicting information on which of the two transmissions is stronger/better, but since it fell in my lap, I'll go ahead and use it.
    Greg.