Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 speed questions toploader vs. side shift?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Patdoody, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Patdoody

Patdoody

So I am collecting parts for my model a project... I came across a '49 3speed out of a shoebox, that was behind an 8ba. It is the side shift model. I just got done reading the V-T book and after searching around on here everyone recommends or at least seems to be running top loaders. Is there any real good reason for this? or any good reason I shouldnt be running the side shift trans? I am doing an open drive train so I think it should work out for me. Also what are the options for floor shifters for the 3 speed side shift? I would assume they would be similar to a later 4 speed trans? thanks in advance you guys keep saving my butt on this project.

2. Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  3. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I also liked the 3 on the tree setup for my model A but found out that it wasn't going to work for me.

I use an F1 steering box and column in my A without cutting the box and welding on the original end. The column is too close to the flathead block for the linkage to clear and make it's way to the transmission.

Using an aftermarket shifter might work fine with some tweeking/bending to the shifter handle to get clearance for your right leg. One thing I have found with this build is how tight the front space is in the model A so my end result was to use a top shift transmission.

Cliff Ramsdell

4. johnreb23

johnreb23

Hurst Indy SSA universal 3 speed shifter Part Number 501-002

That's the floor shift conversion that a lot of people (including myself) use in shoeboxes with that transmission. Hurst is still making them.

this is what it looks like in a 49 coupe:

200410_213A.jpg

Goodluck with the project.

5. Patdoody

Patdoody

Thanks for that, I saw that hurst shifter on jegs, looks like the only shifter that was listed for a 49 3 speed, the rest are universal jobbys. how do you like it?

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Hey Johnreb, will that shifter work with the OD tranny?

7. johnreb23

johnreb23

Hurst made a few different models that will fit the 49 transmission. The one im using is the Indy universal 3 speed. I just put mine in last week and won't be able to try it for some time, but I've heard good things from other shoebox owners. It said for non-OD transmissions only, sorry mike.

however i did find this picture in an old thread on shoeboxford.com:

[​IMG]

It's one of Hurst's older models that's been bent to fit around the OD solenoid. Sorry, dont have any specifics on the shifter.

Someone here on the hamb was also selling a Hurst Mystery shifter for a 49-51 transmission a while back, so it might just be a matter of hunting down the right setup.

anyway, i'm sure you'll make something work.

(sorry for the huge pictures, I havent figured out how to make them smaller)

8. Patdoody

Patdoody

looks good! I just wanted to make sure this trans was something worth buying before I shelled out my hard earned loot.. How hard is it to find a yoke for these things? I noticed the one I am looking at doesn't have one? I think I read an early power glide is the same? But haven't been able to verify it.

9. clutch58

clutch58

slight misconception on toploader-ford toploader 4speeds have a top cover you remove to r and r the internals. ford 3 speeds the same. if you put a jeep 3-speed next to a ford pickup 3-speed ,the difference is the jeep trans shifer installs on top-the ford pickup 3-speed shifts from the side. hope this helps.

10. Patdoody

Patdoody

Thanks for that. I read that reply lastnight, and it didnt make any sense to me, well at least not as to how it pertains to the discussion.