Register now to get rid of these ads!

3-point seatbelts in a 55-59 chevy pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59chev, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Has anyone put 3-point seatbelts in their 55-59 chevy pickup? I've got lapbelts currently and would like to put in shoulder belts.

How did you do it? The floor anchor seems easy enough but how did you anchor the shoulder pivot? The inner cab structure seems too flimsy to mount a seatbelt to.

2. murph

murph

Nice tech piece on 3-point belt install in a 5-window AD cab. Might give you some ideas for your later model:

Link to Deve Krehbiels Tech Article

-murph

3. chopped

chopped

In a car but should work. Drilled for mounting bolt, wacked it with a hammer for some indentation. Stuck the bolt in and welded to the roof. Little Bondo finished it.

4. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

Patrick's antique trucks sells some. Supposed to be pretty easy.
    Tito

5. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I knew a guy that figured where he wanted it, drilled the hole from the inside,( be carefull if the truck is painted not to dimple the outside) welded a nut to a piece of heavy strap that could reach the hole. He then slid the strap up between the interior panel and the roof, lined it up and bolted the shoulder strap to it, again male sure the bolt is not so long as to dimple the roof panel.

6. Thanks for all the reply's, this should give me something to go off of.

7. Painterman

Painterman

I put a set in my 59 Chev panel. It was pretty straight forward. I just welded the nut to a good sized piece of plate and welded it in from behind the panel. It worked out great. Like it was said before, just make sure you don't drill too far and mess up your paint on the outside. I used one of those cheapo drill stops that go on the drill. Good luck

8. Richard Head

Richard Head

I put shoulder belts in my 55 big window. I welded a threaded sleeve into the box structure between the door jamb and rear window. The upper pivot is slightly wider than the post, but its not really noticable with the door closed. Its a good idea to mount it above your shoulder so your spine doesnt get compressed with a foward thrust of the body.
    I can take pictures tomorrow.
    Dave