Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 3 on the tree vs floor shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chgo Sox Fan, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Chgo Sox Fan

Chgo Sox Fan

I have a 51 Styline Deluxe with a 216 & 3 on the tree. I’m still a long way to go before considering shifter options but want peoples thoughts on it. I go back and forth with the idea of bucket seats and floor shifter vs the bench seat and column shifter. I know the decision is mine to make I just wonder what other folks might think or have done. Thanks for chiming in.

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

If I had a column shifted car I would leave it.

3. Opinions are like belly buttons. I'd leave the bench seat and column shift.

4. I drove a column shift car once.
    That was once too many for me.
    I'd rather walk ...

There are two things that were never cool when I was (supposed to be) growing up ... cars with four doors and cars (or trucks) with column shift.

My views haven't changed.

Ned Ludd, impala4speed, hrm2k and 4 others like this.

5. The Ranch Wagon had a 3 on the tree and a inline 6, I knew I was going to replace the 6 with a V8 but had intended to leave the 3 on the tree.

My plan changed was the leave the column shift but after purchasing a mustang from my my late friends wife with a rebuilt V8 & 5 speed transmission I changed direction, other wise it would still be on the column.

There is absolutely no reason in my mind to remove a good working 3 speed column shiftier unless it's just worn out are you are replacing the 3 speed tranny with a 4 or 5 speed transmission, then move it to the floor. HRP

6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the transmission is stock and the shift linkage is in good shape leave it alone. I would even leave the column shift if/when you go to an automatic trans.

7. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Joe

8. set me on fire

set me on fire

I like my 3 on the tree...its kinda like anti theft...

9. oldolds

oldolds

With 3 on the tree your girlfriend can sit closer to you! With the shifter on the floor, you get to give her a rub now and again! Again, it is your decision!

Ford52PU, theman440, 8ntsane and 4 others like this.
  10. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

I agree! My 55 F-100 has a 3 on the tree and when I went to get new tires, they asked for me to drive into the maint bay because nobody there didn't know how to shift. LOL! It's your call but I would keep what you have for you just don't see many these days compared to floor shifts.

11. squirrel

squirrel

If you're building a go fast car, then a floor shifter might be the way to go. If you're leaving the engine and driveline mostly stock, then three on the tree makes sense.

Putting a floor shifter in a six cylinder sled is rather wannabe....

12. NoelC

NoelC

I'm in agreement with the leave it and drive it crowd. While I like bucket seats and a floor shifter, you have a classic as is and like Squirrel mentioned...converting it to a floor shifter is wannabe. Reminds me of those back page hot rod ads that said install a floor shifter and be in with the cool crowd. The stuff they sold us for breakfast.

hrm2k and williebill like this.
  13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I never ever enjoyed shifting a column shift.........never,never,never
    If you do try to shift them quickly and hard, you usually end up with problems.

On the other hand, there is a certain enjoyment in shifting a (decent)floor shifter.

Don't ask me why, thats just how it seems to me.:D

When many hot rodders were really poor and adapting things was a way of life(because we had time but not money) some guys used to remove column shifters and cut them down and mount them on the floor so they worked like a floor shift. One guy had not worked out all the bugs yet and his 1st and 2nd gear positions were opposite. Since he was the only one who knew that, he challenged a guy to a race taking off in 2nd gear.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  14. My 53 Ford had a 215 with column shift. I upgraded to a SBF and 3 speed toploader, but kept the 3 on the tree so I could keep the bench seat. That way my "squeeze" can sit close...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  15. Squablow

Squablow

Floor shift can be cool in the right car/application, but if this is the original engine and trans I'd leave the column shift. Either way I would not put bucket seats in a '51 Chevy. There are only a small handful of early buckets that look right in an early 50's car and they're hard to find. Lots of guys try modifying later seats to look earlier but I have yet to see one that didn't look like dogshit.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mys guess is that way too many young guys have never had the experince of driving down the road with their gal snuggled up while they did some distracted one hand driving.

Also remembeing that the forward thinkers back when the shift handle wasn't built into the column would pop the pin out and flip the arm over and put it back on so they shifted with their left hand.

Floor shifts with bench seats aren't bad though, My wife learned to shift gears with the 4 speed lever on my Bench seat Cutlass S between her knees.

17. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

If it was my car, based on year and motor, I would keep the 3 on the tree, and the bench seat.
    Had both styles, and even had a '69 Camaro with factory buckets and 3 on the tree.

tr_rodder and olscrounger like this.
  18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Yup, 48chev beat me to it. Flip the shifter system so's you can left-hand shift. Nowadays, virtually nobody knows this trick. Dbl theft protection? :D .
    & your squeeze may like it to... :D .
    Marcus...

SS327 likes this.
  19. After about 50 years of driving cars and trucks with floor shifts, I find it somewhat of a relief that my 48 Ford still has the three on the tree....I like it for a change.

olscrounger likes this.
  20. E0C92E4B-6A74-4ECC-A3BE-20AB52A48491.jpeg

you can do the bench seat and a floor shift if your creative .

or leave the coloumn shift .

your choice .

But please please please leave that big ol’ comfy bench seat .

21. jaracer

jaracer

Back in the day we put in a lot of floor shifters. I think that was mainly because our column shifters were worn out. That would make you a member of the greasy finger club when it hung up between first and second.

22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The biggest fault with column shifters is that they are often sloppy and / or imprecise. I like the idea of keeping a bench seat and column shifter.
    BUT...
    Take the time to upgrade the linkage.
    Replace the wonky hairpin restrained clevis connections with Heim joints.
    Upgrade the shift rods with fatter rods or tubular rods that will not flex.
    And lastly, be sure to adjust the levers so the neutral gate is precisely aligned between the two shift levers.
    Now you will have a shifter that is a joy to use.

23. Andy

Andy

I put a column shift from a 40 Ford in my 32 roadster. I went to get a safety inspection at a GoodGuys. They insisted I needed a shift pattern plaque. I like them.

RICH B and olscrounger like this.
  24. indyjps

indyjps

Bench seat and powerglide - yes sir.

As far as column shift manual, I had to drive a dump truck around one summer with that set up. No Thanks.

ekimneirbo and 427 sleeper like this.
  25. gene-koning

gene-koning

The only 3 on the tree I drove had a worn out shifter and wore out linkage. You kind of had to hook it to get into 2nd. The floor shift was a great addition! My future wife didn't seem to mind me shifting with the stick between her legs. (Get your minds out of the gutter! LOL!) That old heap went away years ago.
    Now, after being married for 43 years, the bench seat was pretty useless, she didn't much like straddling the trans tunnel. The current bucket seats are comfy...

26. goldmountain

goldmountain

I would say keep the column shifter if for no reason other than that they haven't been made for the past half century. Back then, they were the staple item in the no option cars; now they are a novelty.

SS327, tr_rodder and 427 sleeper like this.
  27. Georelle

Georelle

I say column shift.
    I converted my 61 Falcon back to column shift. The previous owner that started the project put a 67 Mustang 200 i6 in it along with the 3 on the floor. To me 3 belongs on the column, and for a cruiser column shifting is just dang cool. I do wish it had the bench seat but it came with bucket seats & the cool soda shop styled console.

olscrounger likes this.
  28. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 40 with stock column shift and Columbia etc. Shifts smooth as can be!!

Moriarity likes this.
  29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the day, only "grandma" cars:eek: had column shifters. Us young guys would throw in a Foxcraft floor shifter. The older guys (with money) would convert with a Hurst Mystery Shifter;)

SS327, borntoloze, ottoman and 3 others like this.
  30. F-head

F-head

I love column shift, been driving them for years

sidevalve8ba and olscrounger like this.