Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3 on the tree shift collar mystery

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 47streamliner, Sep 30, 2016.

1. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

I have a 50 Chevy styleline and I need a new one of the threaded collars that attaches to the the steering column .

I bought what was supposed to be a NOS one off evilbay but was definitely not for a 50 Chevy car or truck .

1 ) if anyone has a shifter collar with good threads in it please message me !

2 ) I was wondering if you guys can help me ID the shift collar . The seller on evilbay doesn't want to refund my money even though it was not described properly .

The pics are of my shift collar ( left) and the mystery one (right )

Thanks in advance for any help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

the black one is yours, the silver one is the new one?

(left right don't help when we nee to know top bottom)

3. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

4. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know what the mystery one is, but the black one sure looks like the 55-59 truck standard shift collar, as far as shape, etc.

did you try the repop from Eckler's?

5. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Yup national Chevy , ecklers ...

49-52 is one column size
    53-4 is different
    Tri five is completely different

All the repop are listed for 49-54 and are not all the same . National Chevy actually changed their website because of it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. LAROKE

LAROKE

Back in '01 the threads on my saddle knuckle galled (1955 1st Series Chevy Truck) and I purchased the repop knuckle. Can't remember the vendor but like the Cosmonaut in Armageddon sez "American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!" Looked a lot closer than yours but was still off. The bracket ID was too tight to fit the steering column and the screw holes were slightly off. Here's a pic. The Chicom knockoff is the painted one in the pic. The bare metal one is an original I got from Hamber Joe Mendola (MotherTrucker). It fit perfectly.

[​IMG]
    The repop can be made to fit. It just needs more machining. That was fifteen years ago tho' and maybe the quality is better today (providing you get the correct one).

7. squirrel

squirrel

looks like there are at least 3 of them for various 3 speed shifters in the 50s

[​IMG]

stillrunners likes this.