Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 3 notch air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Better know as a Cowl Vent.

I have had very few cars that the cowl vent didn't have some damage,the small rivets that the vent pivot on are usually rusted tight or broken,amazingly enough the one in my old beater is as original as the day it rolled of Henry's assembly line but I have had to drill out the broken rivet's several cars in the past and use bolt's to make them operational.

Is this common on all cars with a cowl vents? HRP

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. My F-100 has a cowl vent which never seemed to stay open until I added a stiffer spring to the mechanism. Been working great ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used wave washers and nylon lock nuts on the screws after drilling the rivets. The best would be a small screw with a should but the are pretty hard to find. The wave washer will keep tension on the joint and the lock nut makes it stay. As it wears you can tighten it. Hope this helps...

4. Love the functional cowl vent on my '40. Without it sometimes feels like riding in a pizza oven!:eek:

3W JOHN, ladyhrp, dana barlow and 5 others like this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. I know what you mean Don,I have opened up a few after they were welded shut back when people thought the slick looked good,nothing like fresh air,even if it's hot air! HRP

6. Not saying that Chevy's had a better setup up(or am I ?;)) but the vent on my 32 worked without a hitch and if three notches ain't enough to get the air moving I can just crank the windshield up a couple of inches into the header and fully lower the rear window for the hurricane effect.

7. I've had them both ways on different '40 Fords I've owned. Honestly I like it functional! I like it more than the vent windows.

8. I totally agree. HRP

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Take that as gospel Danny knows about hot air........ laughing with you after you read this Danny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

mine is rusted shut. Poured some atf in it/around the door about 6 months ago.
    Last weekend my plan was to crawl under the dash and pull it out.
    A family of wasp decided to move in. I will wait a few more weeks, then pull it and fix the issues with it. :eek:

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

The cowl vent in my '38 Chevy truck does wonders to help move the heat out of the floor area.
    I also like the crank out windshield the moves air across my shoulders and head in this Florida heat.

12. Your a sick man Rusty! :D:rolleyes: HRP

13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-8-20_17-14-31.png
    Hey L,
    That vent on my first Flathead, 40 Ford Sedan Delivery saved many hot road trips up and down the coast for us teenagers. With the back window taken out and surfboards stuffed in, it allowed some air flowing out. So, that vent, fully open brought in much needed cool air. But again, we teenagers were bullet proof and nothing was going to get in the way of finishing our surf trips.

Jnaki
    Years later, when I drove my next 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, even with the SBC and A/C, I still drove with that vent open and no A/C. Being in our early twenties still had some "hard core" to the hot rod adventure. But, if my wife was driving or in the car, it was shut that $%& vent and turn on the A/C. Ha!

upload_2017-8-20_17-15-46.png

3W JOHN, ladyhrp, deucemac and 3 others like this.
  14. Great memories, jnaki.

3W JOHN, jnaki, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  15. choptop40

choptop40

Used to weld em shut...on my 49 dodge had to reengineer the whole mechanism because of the big engine setback....was worth it....

16. I'll second that. The cowl vent on my 33 Chevy has always worked like a champ. Who needs AC!

17. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

I peeled the melted bees wax out of the cowl vent on my 33 Plymouth. Pleased a previous owner sealed it up like that years ago as its preserved perfectly
    Only problem I have is if I exceed the speed limit the wind off the front window slams the cowl vent closed

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The one in my 35 Chebby is great to keep the heat down in summer. In winter it's another story as I've no windows being a phaeton. True fair weather motoring. 20161005_212139.jpg

19. "See if this cools down the "Pizza Oven", Don"...........Your pal, Henry.:D 20170822_084333.jpg 08142017.jpg

20. The Shift Wizard

The Shift Wizard
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They could have scooped up a little rain H2O once in a while, so yea, rusty/dusty/crusty can happen. Personally I would never weld one shut and would go to great pains to have it operate as originally designed. It's one of the coolest things about an old vintage or classic (no pun intended) and a big part of the experience of owning one. I actually prefer the look of it open and calling attention to itself over it sealed shut. And give me some knobs and cables so I can be in command like I'm captain of the sails of my ship. .......and wing window vents that I can flip all the way backwards with my bare hand. Nostalgia, Baby!

I live in Texas so I have to at least consider the possibility of A/C in my '52 Chevy, toaster oven, panel truck. But the cowl vent scoop is not a delete item in my mind even if the full function of the ducting is compromised.

nunattax, 3W JOHN, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  21. Open up that cowl vent! HRP

upload_2017-8-22_13-48-42.jpeg

3W JOHN, 56don, ladyhrp and 1 other person like this.
  22. porknbeaner

porknbeaner

Most of them that I have played with needed the rivets replaced or at least broken loose. I think its pretty common or at least it seems that way to me.

23. Open up. HRP

upload_2017-8-22_13-54-11.jpeg

3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  24. LBCD

LBCD

I used shoulder bolts on the frame and it helped with some of the slop... most of the time I have the vent full open or as some refer to it as the a/c on high...
    [​IMG]

25. Greg's coupe. HRP upload_2017-8-22_13-59-30.jpeg

26. Jims Model A. HRP

upload_2017-8-22_14-14-12.jpeg

[​IMG]

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. I sent you a pm conversation. Thanks. Curt R

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine was rusted badly as well. Here is an easy fix,
    Step 1, remove. This makes drilling out hardware much easier.
    Bills Iphone 2017 439.JPG
    Step 2, clean as necessary,
    Bills Iphone 2017 445.JPG
    Step 3, replace
    Bills Iphone 2017 466.JPG
    Step 4, finish as desired.
    vent.jpg
    4 easy steps, now it works like a charm. Just like Planet Druidia, fresh air for eternity.

Attached Files:

29. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some bozo thought this was a good idea.

[​IMG]

Uncoolness repaired.

[​IMG]

In action.

[​IMG]

I wonder if there is a crank out windshield thread around here somewhere???

-Abone.