Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 3 link rear ends?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by touchdowntodd, Dec 21, 2008.

1. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

anyone set up a 3 link rear to replace leafs? panhard and 2 trailer arms...

thinking of doing something like this in my galaxie for the airbag install.. ive seen a few done this way and they ride pretty well most so, as long as bag placement is correct.. anyways, i know a 4 link is best, and i havent ruled it out, just thinkin over options.. will be running shocks in rear either way.. for now will be air over leaf, so if that rides well enough then this thread is just for the info when i can do the swap and do some stuff a lil crazier as far as teh bags go

let me know fellas, pics would be awesome..

2. rq375

rq375
    from Washington

Some of the 70s Ford big cars had factory three link with panhard and coils on top of the axel. You would have to add the cross member for the upper link, but it should be a fairly easy/inexpensive swap. One caveat, I think the Galaxie has the fuel tank behind the rearend, see if you will have clearance for the panhard.

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

I have done several suspensions similar to the one pictured below. It is in an air ride equipped '55 Chevy truck. It is a 3 link / wishbone rear suspension. The upper wishbone controls axle wrap as well as locates the rear end side to side. It saves room, and is simpler than mounting a separate panhard bar. The single connection at the rear end has to pivot in the wishbone so there will be no bind. It works awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The shocks mount on the lower control arms:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. A 3-link and a panhard rod works good. The third link can double as a torque arm. Something like a later model Camaro.

I use it in my race car with coil-overs. Done right, it's a bind free system, unlike some of the other technical night-mares I've seen.