Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 3 Deuces and an Offy generator mount for 8BA

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by panheadguy, Jul 23, 2015.

1. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Hello,
    I bought an Edelbrock 1109 manifold thinking I was going to use an old Offy offset generator mount. The offy mount is way to narrow to be located properly by the slot in the front of the E'brock manifold. The stock registration surfaces are 2-1/2" wide but the Offy bracket is only 2-1/4"....too sloppy to work.
    Anyone know wtf is up with that? Offy reinvents the front of a flathead? Or maybe the bracket is for a v860.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Offy and Edelbrock both, I think, used the narrow front slot on their hotrod manifolds...is your Edelbrock one of the recent repopped ones?? The stock width did not matter on the multi carb setups, since a generator could not be installed there anyway. The narrow slot took a casting that accepted the '42-48 fan's shaft directly, and of course the generator was meant to go on a head on a special bracket...note this is all for pre-49 engines, as used in most rods and racers. On '49 up engines I am not aware of any generator mounts that go anywhere except in that slot, so I am guessing that Edelbrock uses an offset that is stock locater width for the late models. Maybe easiest way here is 2 strips of metal, like 1/8 square key stock...

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Panhead, I built an 8BA for my roadster and while mine is supercharged the bracket issue is the same. This piece attached the head came from Navarro and I adapted it a bit by mounting the head using roller rocker studs so the head doesn't have to be un-torqued every time the gen mount has to be removed. The spacing was also necessary to allow for the thermostat housing clearance. Then I used some studs and acorns to mount the bracket. The power gen slides right in and lines up on the pulleys spot on. I cant imagine why it wouldn't work in your application.
    upload_2015-7-23_16-39-37.png upload_2015-7-23_16-40-35.png
    upload_2015-7-23_16-47-26.png

Attached Files:

4. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Hey Bruce,
    Your explanation is very logical.....as usual! You are correct that the manifold is a new repop. I like the older parts on the engine but the older 8ba three deuce manifolds I found were mostly junk. There are lots more duals than trips. I like the looks of the trips and plan to only use the end carbs straight up.
    I can save this part by welding on additional material. Using keystock would work as well but holding them in place when the mount is loose might be problematic.
    Thanks for the explanation!

5. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

That is a beautiful engine