Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3 Deuce setup for my shoebox

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ed Kasperek, Aug 17, 2017.

1. metalman

metalman

I've heard bad things about those "9 super 7" carbs and I know a local guy bought 4 of them for his Caddy motor, soon after he got it running he bought real Strombergs. Wouldn't tell me why, said he didn't want to talk about it.
    I'm doing the same swap on a 51 today as a matter of fact. Same parts list except I'm using some rebuilt 97s I had laying around.

2. Whats a duce? HRP

hrm2k likes this.
  3. flathead4d

flathead4d

Go with the Stromberg 97's. Have not heard anything good about the Super 97's. Check out the fordbarn.com web site for more opinions on them.

4. oj

oj

Go with the edelbrock Holley 94, absolutely the best. Not their linkage, that part is cheap junk but the carbs and intake are very well developed as you would expect from Edelbrock.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You will also have to contend with a different distributor. The original doesn't work correctly with three carbs.

Just have Dick rebuild some used 94's.
    Stay away from those Speedway carbs.
    http://dickshotrodcarbs.com/home.html

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  6. 'Mo

'Mo

I'm just curious.
    Three is lots of carbs. What other mods have been done?
    Cam? Heads? Boring/stroking? Relieving?
    If none of the above, two is plenty, just as cool, and leaves pocket change toward some of the above. (JMO)

7. metalman

metalman

94's won't fit on an Offenhouser manifold, carb spacing is too tight.

oj likes this.
  8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it's an Italian dictator.

9. oj

oj

HolyShit! Thats incredible, thanks for posting this. Personally, I'd change the manifold before I'd consider the Strombergs.

10. Definition of duce
    1. : leader —used especially for the leader of the Italian Fascist party
    Deuce - as in 2 barrel carburetor or Chevy II or my favorite '32 Ford. HRP

11. Probably the route that I should take. What do you guys think about this set-up?
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2011/overview/make/ford

strokedstang331 likes this.
  12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This would all work out better if we knew more about the engine it's going on. About that particular setup : It will work fine, but you have to run an offset generator bracket as the stock generator location will not work, which requires more work, a different belt, etc. Also, in my opinion, it is waaaay overpriced. You should be able to find that same manifold on eBay or some such for less that $300 (sometimes much less). A couple of 94 cores sent to one of the experts on here will probably get you better suited carbs (if you let them know what you're doing) for a lot less money. Then you have to purchase and rig up the linkage. Depending on your engine, you may be better off with a "Standard" dual setup that biases the carbs to the rear so you don't have to move the generator. Those manifolds are usually cheaper than the "Super" duals as well ($219 new on Speedway). You will have to run straight linkage, as progressive doesn't work at all well on a "Super". Plus, you will learn a lot gathering and assembling the setup yourself, which will help down the line when trying to tune it. Good luck with your project.

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Why keep going to the overprice parts houses????
    Tubman is spot on.
    Trust our opinion and go to "our" carb gurus to set you up.
    A rebuilt carb is every bit as good as a new one.

14. metalman

metalman

Yep, I agree. I've never bought a new 97 nor the Eldelbrocks. Good cores for both, especially 94's can be bought reasonable either from swap meets or Ebay, rebuild kits are cheap. I don't think I've ever had more then $100, maybe $150 max in a totally rebuilt, perfect running carb, way cheaper then the new ones. Of course that doesn't include my labor, if you can't rebuild it yourself still cheaper then buying new even if you hire out the rebuild.
    Come to think of it, I've never bought a new "vintage" manifold either.

15. Yep. Totally agree.
    I had to start my search somewhere, that why I looked at Summit & others

Manifolds look to be readily available....suggestions?

As to the 97's, What should I look for as far as good rebuild able cores?
    Price ranges for 97's?
    Thanks Gents

16. As to the 97's, What should I look for as far as good rebuild able cores?
    Price ranges for 97's?
    Thanks Gents

17. Can anyone help me out with this?????

18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

19. Please do not buy those crap off shore imitations of a "Super 97"carb that Speedway sells. I wasted so many many hours and frustration trying to get them to work, you name it I did it to those useless items. Plus Speedway just says "suck it up and go away"
    Either the Edlebrock 94 units (which have the linkage on the wrong side for original passenger side linkage) or the New beautiful Strombergs from England. Talked to Clive at the UK 97 factory and he suggested power valves and jetting to suit my 3/4 race 8BA flatty, plus they are beautifully machined and have the correct linkage location.
    Not cheap but work out of the box with no leaks.
    I gave up trying to get my old abused collection of old 97's to mate and produce a hybrid original 97 that worked well.

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Contact Clive at Stromberg in jolly ol' England. Those three in my avatar fired up and ran perfect. No leaks, no issues. And Clive is an added bonus. Oh yeah, he even painted them for me.

21. I searched "Clive Stromberg, England" and found their dealer page.
    Listed Macs as a selling dealer.
    So, looks like Macs sells the Clive/Stromberg carbs. Correct??

22. clem

clem

Reread posts 5,6,7,14&19 again

23. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Be sure you have the middle carb as the only one with an idle circuit and have the end carbs strictly as sealed dumpers. only way it will work smoothly. How do I know? Look closely at my avitar.