Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3 97 carbs on a Model A Banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R.C.D., Jul 21, 2018.

1. R.C.D.

R.C.D.

I am building a model a coupe with a banger motor and a Thomas tripower maniford with 3 Speedway 97 carbs. Anyone ever set on up? Getting ready to fire it up for the first time and not sure on the jet size. Has stromberg progressive linkage a 4 into one header system 12 volt pertronix and a 5 speed s10 trans. Any suggestions

2. That manifold definitely looks good but I bet it would run a lot better with one or two of the carbs blocked off. Do the passages look like they would flow with one or two blocked off? If I ran 2 carbs I think they would be 81's. I assume what you have is like the first picture. It looks like the center carb was rebuilt and the other two are just there for show. I hope you are running the rest of the Thomas equipment like in the second picture. I think the only thing missing on the engine in the second picture is that the guy should have run one of the reproduction aluminum two blade fans that had been polished. (disclaimer, neither engine is mine)

Bit of trivia, Dan Price made some Model B side plates that said "Thomas". They were not a reproduction of an original but rather something he made up.

As far as the jets go, wish I could help.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_6300.jpg IMG_3382.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sure run it. with progressive linkage its on a single anyway. every so often you need to open the outsides up to help with flooding. as engines vibrate some fuel will seep by the needles an add fuel to the bowls. when i run any multiple setups i set the bowl levels a little lower in the ones not in use all the time. this keeps more pressure on the needle as the vibration lets some gas seep by and it helps. unless your drag or lakes racing its for looks anyway...love it.......

4. Way to much carb.

5. R.C.D.

R.C.D.

Thanks for the reply mine is like the second picture but the head is a 6to 1 snider guess I will fire it up and see what happens. Randy

6. R.C.D.

R.C.D.

Thanks for the reply guess I will fire it up and see what happens Randy

7. R.C.D.

R.C.D.

Thanks for the reply, your right a lot of carb but it sure looks good. Randy

Hitchhiker likes this.
  8. It does look really cool

9. Here is the side plate I referenced earlier. I bought it from Dan Price about 30 years ago. You might contact him to see if he has any left or could tell you where the tooling went. I almost hate to say it but "I am going to use it someday".

Charlie Stephens

IMG_8848.jpg

Jet96 and 1930BeachRat like this.