Register now to get rid of these ads!

3/8" Tubing Bender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkledaddy, Oct 22, 2012.

1. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Has anybody achieved good results using a spring-type bender on 3/8" steel brake line?

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Don't try bending it open handed and always bend it around something, and keep the spring tight to itself.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can't use on on tubes that have flares on them and for some guys that kills the deal. As Dreracecar suggested use something round to roll the tube around while it's inside the spring.

I've got a half dozen tube benders in my tool box including the spring type and still don't have one I like for every bend. I've got a discount roll the outside piece around the tube one that works most of the time and Want a quality version of that style. The one on top in this photo.
    [​IMG]

4. 3/8" brake lines? Dang!

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Fuel line.

I just need a few bends that look professional between the fuel pump and carb, especially one 90-degree.

I have three or four different hand-held benders that have their own applications, but none do 3/8" steel attractively. I hate to spend a ton of dough for a bender just to get one 90-degree bend to look good and thought the spring would be a quick and easy way out.

6. I know exactly what you mean. I needed to make 1 the other day. Fucked up 3 right in row. Put a rubber hose on it just to get things moving temp. Thought about filling it with extra fine sand later this week and try again.

I pulled out my big bender to make some other stuff and theres dies in there for 3/8 line. Perfect 180 * bend with that rascal. 720* coil too if ya want. But its on a 2-1/2 inch radius.

I'd bend you some if you let me know what you need

7. carbking

carbking

The problem with the inexpensive benders is they pretty much have a fixed radius for the bend. If you want a different radius, you are out of luck.

I have a set of the spring benders, and before I bought some decent benders, I was able to make passable bends out of small copper tubing with the springs, NEVER steel.

I finally had to purchase a DiAcro bender (we used to fabricate lots of tripower and dual quad fuel lines), but you certainly do NOT want to pay for one of these for half a dozen bends.

Maybe there is a brake shop in your area that would make a bend for you???

Jon.

8. Ramblur

Ramblur

9. You can run copper for a fuel line,,,,

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus